Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

alero hesitates

rydermack
07-22-2006, 05:42 PM
i have a 1999 alero with a 2.4 engine,,i have had many problems with this car in the year that i have had it. my problem now is while im cruising down the road it runs fine but when i let off the accelerator and press on it again it hesitates and sometimes jerks and goes dead,,,has anyone had this experience and how was it fixed,,also could someone tell me where the spark plugs are located on a 2.4,,,thank you,,,,,,,,miles on car 103000

BNaylor
07-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome to AF.

Since you have a 2.4L your spark plugs are located under the cover in the center of the engine. Basically it is the coil pack. There are four bolts that hold it in place that need to be removed. On the left side (driver's) unplug the electrical connector to the coil pack. Then pull the coil pack off and you will see the spark plugs.

The spark plugs would be a good starting point with your mileage and the fuel filter if it has not been replaced. Good luck!

rydermack
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
thank you old hot rodder,,,,could you tell me where the fuel filter is located,,,thanks

BNaylor
07-22-2006, 06:57 PM
thank you old hot rodder,,,,could you tell me where the fuel filter is located,,,thanks

You're welcome. The fuel filter is located at the rear of the car behind the fuel tank. Due to the low ground clearance of the Alero you may have to jack up one side then just crawl underneath and you'll see it. For safety try to use a jackstand or other type support when working underneath the car.

One side of the fuel filter has two standard push in retainers to get the fuel line off and on the filter side all you'll need is an open end wrench. Also, watch out for fuel spray so protect your eyes. Good luck!

PotIsYourFriend
07-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I know first hand that gas hurts in the eyes because I crawled under my car not realizing that the lines were under pressure.. Wear googles..

vamc
08-01-2006, 06:57 PM
About that hesatation, i have the same problem c my 3.4L. in drive c 50% thratul(sp)(one of those days) my car will go from 800rpm to 500rpm and will go, it has stalled before as well. dealer had it for 2 days and could not find out why it was doing it.ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr

rydermack
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
i finally found the problem,,,autozone told me it was the MAP sensor,,which i did not buy one ,,,after finally finding the MAP sensor ,(located under the plate on the front of the motor 2.4) it was nothing more than a broken vacum hose that was on it,,replaced hose,,cost nothing.

Add your comment to this topic!