Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

high milage on used vehicles

chickenmonkey
07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
would a 2002 wrx with 91,000 be too much for a subaru? would u ever buy a used car with 91,000 from a private party?

BeZerK2112
07-21-2006, 04:39 PM
If they where the first or second owner then yes I would buy the car. After 1994 most care were designed to last 250,000 plus miles if they are taken care of.

In my personal opinion Subaru has a great record of lasting forever. Where I'm from there are tons of old Subaru's driving around still going strong.

In the long term of things, 91,000 miles isn't all that much. Although at that point in time your going to want to check to see if all the maintnence has been done on it. There should have been a 90,000 mile checkup. Most cars, if it has one, will need a timing belt change at about that milage. Also it would be about time to change the struts for a smoother ride.

So.. yes I would buy a car with 91,000 miles on it from a PP if they have maintnence recoards or can prove they had the work done. I even bought my maxima with 117,000 miles on it, now aproaching 135,000 and still going strong.

'97ventureowner
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd say roughly 3/4 of the 21 cars I've owned had at least that many miles on them when I obtained them. I know they say the average mileage for vehicles should be between 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year, but I also say what type of miles on the vehicle also matters. If a majority of those miles are highway miles, rather than "city" type miles (more stop and go), that isn't so bad. It is true that nowadays vehicles tend to last longer, many people I know purchase used fleet vehicles, some with over 200,000 miles on them and have great luck with them. You didn't specify the asking price for the vehicle, but I would take into consideration the mileage and try to negotiate a lower sales price due to the above normal mileage. If you look at some of the vehicle appraisal sites, they deduct a certain amount for "excess" mileage over the "normal" average. Make sure you have the vehicle thoroughly checked over,and check the maintenance records. You might even want to do a vehicle check on it like Carfax. If everything checks out to your satisfaction, and you feel comfortable with the transacation, then I'd say go for it.

ilgoldstein
07-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I'd want to see those maintenance records. If the oil and filter has been changed regularly, coolant changes, etc., the car should be in good shape. You can ruin a car in 15K miles if you don't take care of it. If you do, it can go well over 200K miles with no major engine problems.

chickenmonkey
07-24-2006, 12:03 AM
but this fool is asking for $15,000 miles. I checked on kbb and the price listed as $11,500. i'm thinking about telling him $10,750 cash.

BlazinBWF
07-26-2006, 07:32 PM
91k is a lot of miles and things tend to go out at around 100k miles but if its the first or second owner and it is well documented I wouldnt worry...if not just have your mechanic check it out just to be safe. I have a 79 911 with a silimiar engine as the wrx and I have 145k miles on it and it runs perfectly and is very reliable...I know they go well over 300k miles if taken care of.

Add your comment to this topic!