Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Grand AM GT BRAKE problems!!!

JD1ezal
07-21-2006, 03:49 PM
ok see if anyone has any advice....

i was changing my rear brakes(disk brakes) and i changed them out and after about a day of driving I have NO PRESSURE ON THE PEDAL, but IF I slam on them hard and fast I have all kinds of pedal and it will stop me fast but only if i do it hard and fast and thats dangerous.. SO anyway... i tried to go back and bleed the brakes thinking air was in the lines but there really is no fluid coming out of the bleeder... can anyone help?? and also to explain how bad i have no brake, u can use ur pinky and push the pedal to the floor with no problem... please help!

Cadinrfv
07-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like maybe they are out of adjustment.
Just my 2cents. I am by far no expert on brakes.

xeroinfinity
07-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Did You hav someone pushing the brake pedal when you opened the bleeder valve(s)??

If not , you definatly need to bleed them now.
Opening that lets air in and will giv you a very soft pedal.

If you bleed the brakes do them in this order,
Right rear(passenger side)
Left front(driver side)
Left rear
Right front
This should eleminate any air in the lines.

If you are not familiar with bleeding brakes systems,
I'd suggest taking it to a shop that can perform the "bleeding" properly.

Safty is an issue here, and not just yours. :grinyes:

Hope that helps.

JD1ezal
07-22-2006, 10:34 AM
yeah i had someone pumping and holdin the brake, also did it in that exact order... i have done brakes before but never had this problem...

GTP Dad
07-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Do you have ABS? If so make sure the key is on when you attempt to bleed the brakes so that the ABS pumps work. Also there are some braking systems that require that the ABS be disabled with an ABS capable scanner before bleeding the brakes. If you can't get them bled you should go to a mechanic or a dealer. This is a true safety problem that needs to be corrected asap.

xeroinfinity
07-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Another thing the bleeder can be pluged with road crap.

Use a small wire(or paper clip) and see if anythings blocking the opening on the bleeder valve.

JD1ezal
07-22-2006, 09:44 PM
GTP DAD, sounds like u mihgt be of most help so far... let me give you more info and see what you think... FIgured out that there is NO fluid getting to the rear right cal... took off line and no fluid... drained all fluid and blew air through line and after awhile could get air through rear right line but after refilling with fluid could not get the fluid to get back to that line but the others are fine... but didnt do it with key on...and i do have abs, and by key on you mean just the key turn on to use power windows and stuff like that but car not started right??? thanks for help!

xeroinfinity
07-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Did you check the entire brake line for any thing bent or other damage?

Also GTPDad did mean with the key in the "ON" postion, not started.

Your proportioning valve or the hydrolic modulator could also hav air traped in it.

You can bleed both of those.

When bleeding the proportioning vavle start with the lowest fitting, the bleed the upper fitting.

To bleed the Hydrolic Mod do the rear bleeder first then bleed from the front. this has bleeder vavles the PV does not.

Good Luck

JD1ezal
07-23-2006, 10:17 AM
tried everything it seems, still nothing... well got a little bit out of the bleeder but not the way it should be... wondering if master cyclinder is not working right??? i mean it works for the other bleeders just not the rear right... also disconnected the hose to right rear and pumped the hell out of it, i know i will get air in that way but was trying to get any type of fluid out... also to let know last night i let it gravity bleed overnihgt and got a baggy full of fluid but just seems like something is messed up..

GTP Dad
07-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Remove the rubber line that goes to the stainless steel line and try pumping the brakes. I suspect there is a blockage in the rubber line, sometimes they deteriorate internally and block fluid from going through. If you get fluid replace the rubber line. If not then there is a blockage somewhere in the steel line and you will have to replace it. I suspect though that the problem is the rubber flex line to the wheel cylinder.

Ronniedingo
08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi. I'm new here. I found this site when I started searching the Net for information on brake issues with the Grand Am. I am having the exact same brake issues as you, JD1ezal. My 2OO1 GT will start shaking and then I discover I have no brakes. I literally have the brakes to the floor before I can get the car to stop. There is no pressure at all on the pedal. I've had the brakes looked at twice by two different mechanics. One found nothing wrong and I was told by another to 'pump' them because the 'computer' in my car is reading that I have no traction (I still don't understand that one). I bought this car new and I have had no issues with the brakes, well, except for the one time when the left front pad broke in half. I am taking it to a dealership on Monday because I lost my brakes again today. I will take the information I've found here with me. I appreciate the input.

Add your comment to this topic!