Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PCM schematics

padriver
07-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Is there a way to get the schematics of the PCM? In the service manual, the PCM is just a black box, but I'd like more detailed information about how it works.

Has anyone ever attempted to repair a PCM? (Part #16183247)

Alibi
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
The powertrain control module is made up of two components--the PROM chip (I think that is the name) and the computer itself. The computer is often interchangable with other cars, but it is the PROM chip that contains the information for that specific car.

As far as tearing into one and repairing it, I would say you won't be able to do this unless you happen to be an excellent electronics technician....and could solder really really good.

I'd say your best bet would be to just replace it with a PCM from a wrecked car....you want one from a wrecked car becuase you'll know that the car was actually running when it was destroyed :)

HotZ28
07-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I would have to assume that they do not have that many "wrecked" 1994 PA'S in Switzerland. In addition, keep in mind, the 94 PA could be OBD1 or OBD11 compliant. If it is OBD1, the prom would apply, if it were OBD11, the PCM would not have a prom. If you technically proficient to the component level on computers, then yes, you can make repairs. If not, forget it!:nono:

padriver
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
The 16183247 is a OBD-I PCM. It does have a PROM. It's used in a wide variety of applications: http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html#16183247

If I had the schematics, I'm positive I could fix it. I have a pretty good background in electronics, and the PCM technology is actually pretty simple compared to what I'm used to. After all, it's basically a 12 year old microprocessor system.

Without schematics I agree, it's pretty difficult, if not impossible. Especially because there are some non-standard IC's on the PCM.

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/armus/pa/pics/pcm_16183247.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!