Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS: Delco Moraine IV, "No Communication"

zerophlux
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I work for Callaway's Garage in Providence Forge, VA. We have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM. ABS light in the dash is on and stays that way. We hook the Snap-On scanner up to it, and it asks for the VIN digits 10, 2, and 3. They are S, 2, and N respectively. It identifies this as a 1995 Pontiac (all engines) with the Delco Moraine IV ABS system. However, we can only get a "No Communication" error when trying to pull any data from the ABS module. All fuses associated have been eliminated. We have looked for a faulty ground everywhere, but have come up short on everything. We have also checked all asociated plugs for corrosion and contact. If anyone has anything to offer, it will be much appreciated. We don't want to throw any parts at it until we know for sure.

Thanks

xeroinfinity
07-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Sounds like your ABS module is bad.

You getting any other codes?

zerophlux
07-20-2006, 11:53 AM
There is no communication whatsoever from the ABS side, and everything on the engine computer is showing everything is fine. No codes whatsoever from the ECM. Is there any way besides replacement to check and see if the ABS module is broken? Maybe tests/checks for the ABS sensors in the wheels?

xeroinfinity
07-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Does the scanner you hav read ABS codes?

Performing diagnostic work on the ABS-VI requires the use of a Tech I Scan tool.
A Stealership can properly diagnose the error you are receiving though.

I had a simular problem with my 99 SE.
It was a burnout ABS unit due to a water leak.
I had one wheel senor bad replaced both, and still had the ABS light and comunication error w/abs.
Replaced the ABS unit and it fixed the prob.

Also the 99 GT I recently bought had a communications error w/BCM. Replaced the Bcm no more SVS light.

Both of my replacments were used, from a salvage car I hav.
You might check your local salvage yards and pick up a used ABS module for cheaper that new.

btw- hav you checked the fluid level?(just a thought)
If its low it will sometimes trip the ABS and not the brake light.

zerophlux
07-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Very cool... this car originally came in with a leaky radiator and broken thermostat. Sounds like this is the ABS unit being broken. We can get our hands on a Tech I, but I suppose as you said the Snap-on scan tool we have won't do it. We also have a Determinator Scanner Tool from Mac (I believe) and we'll try to sneak into with that until we can borrow the Tech I.

Thanks a bunch!

xeroinfinity
07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
That'll work, and no problem on the advice :thumbsup:

Let us know if thats or whats up with your GA !

zerophlux
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
You guys probably won't believe this, but there was (keyword: was) a kid working here that took out a burnt "alarm" fuse, and thinking that it was for an onboard anti-theft "alarm", left it out knowing there wasn't one in the car. This "alarm" fuse is for the alarm that rings when you leave your lights on, or the door is open and whatnot. Apparently, it also has something to do with the ABS because once we put a fuse back in it, the light went off and both of our scanners pulled everything from the ABS computer.

Add your comment to this topic!