Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinking of buying 96 CV--issues?

profKenn
07-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I was thinking of buying a 96 CV with 67k and very clean. Will the intake manifold DEFINITELY be a problem? I read with interest the class action lawsuit. I don't know if the intake is the nylon stuff. Makes me worry about my 03 windstar which does have a plastic (nylon?) intake. UGH. Anyway, any pointers would be good.

Thanks!

ProfKenn

sheebeehuh
07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
In my experience, the intake WILL be a problem if you keep the car long enough (unless it's aready been replaced). Mileage is not necesarily a factor. My Dad's 1996 Cougar blew a manifold at 46K miles. Many people replace the intake before failure as a preventative measure. Fixing it yourself is not that hard and you can do it for under $250. Here's a site with some detailed info (and a link to good source for replacement manifold kits for under $200):

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

That said, these are great riding and driving cars. A low mileage '96 can be a good deal if the price is right. If it has the sport/handling package (dual exhaust, rear air suspension, etc.) that's even better.

As for your Windstar, it has a "plastic" manifold but I'm not sure if coolant passes through the plastic part of the manifold or not. Look on Ebay. If there are multiple listings for replacement Windstar manifolds then it's a problem.

Add your comment to this topic!