Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

theres one thing i cannot understand

thrill me
08-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Why do u ppl paint the underside of your car in the same colour as the body? isn't it black in real life

dont u just love the licker smilie? :licker:

rcmaxx
08-12-2002, 06:27 PM
not all cars are black on the underside, you probally dont know much about cars. most of the late models are build as a unibody. which makes everything the same color, body and underside. so to correct you, no, all underbodys are'nt black.

thrill me
08-12-2002, 06:34 PM
cool, nah dont know much about cars. (read: i dont know shite)

just stuck my head under my moms car to check if there was a bomb, and i saw that it was black.

could've been dirt tho, she hasnt washed it for ages :rolleyes:

well thanks for correcting me and stuff :licker:

crab
08-12-2002, 06:51 PM
what kinda car does ur mom have?

i know most Toyota's appear to have a black underside cuz the owner got the rust-protection package... my Corolla's underside is black cuz of that....

and of course if u look at pics of Ferrari and Lambos they're all black.... semi-gloss black ;)

rcmaxx
08-12-2002, 07:02 PM
some of black just because of rust protection agents or a rubber type coat of paint.

TheSyndicate
08-12-2002, 07:05 PM
But isn't black underside more realistic? Seems like it's cheaper to paint only the visible body; why would an auto manufacturer spend more money to paint the underside?

rcmaxx
08-12-2002, 07:23 PM
quality? besides, overspray will go down there when the unibody part is painted. black is'nt necessarally more reslitic, if the real car is the same color as the body and you do a black underbody youre way off on reslism.

daggerlee
08-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Some people posted some underchassis shots of the Skyline GT-R R34 and it was a semi gloss black underchassis with carbon fiber (or so they said) skidplates..

djmr2
08-12-2002, 07:27 PM
had to fix my car (93 MR2) and i took off all the underbody covers and the body it's the same color as the body...

when you do look under the car, u gotta look if it's rust protection or the covers you are looking at..

the covers are there so rocks and stuff don't wreck everything.

primera man
08-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Most cars are black underneath, but for some reason most instructions call for the chassis to be painted body colour

TheSyndicate
08-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Ok when we all say underbody, do we mean the chassis and all underbody features, or the part of the body that is the "body", but isn't exposed?

thrill me
08-13-2002, 07:08 AM
under the car

hard to stick my heade in between the chassis and the body? :bloated:

:licker:

Add your comment to this topic!