Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help the key won't turn

mrs.k
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Our 89 Camero has developed an unusual problem. The key will not turn enough to start the engine. We also cannot remove the key. How do we fix this?

Young Chuck D
07-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Our 89 Camero has developed an unusual problem. The key will not turn enough to start the engine. We also cannot remove the key. How do we fix this?

trust me that problem is NOT unusual, no matter what your local gm mr. goodwrench tells you. they get people bringing those in like every other day. they will want 300 in labor charges and probably 50 for parts.

replace the ignition cylinder yourself. go to your local parts place and buy a DELCO ignition cylinder (25 bucks) and a haynes or chilton repair manual. if you have any questions PM me but the instructions are clear as day. you will also need a new snap ring as you probably will need to break the old one. and you'll need a steering wheel puller and a steering wheel lock plate remover. besides those, you'll need a baby phillips, regular size phillips, flat head, and a few of those star/hex things that chevy likes to use.

trust me its not as daunting a task as it looks, i took 3 days because i had to run back and forth for parts/tools

capriceowns
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I also think this should be in the Camaro forum.

Young Chuck D
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I also think this should be in the Camaro forum.

i agree.

but a name like "mrs. k" and 1 post gives you immunity..

ilgoldstein
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Also, this can be a problem with any number of GM cars. I have read that you can borrow the the lock plate remover from some auto part stores.

My 89 Cad has tilt-tele wheel and probably a burned out turn signal contact, since one of my cornering lamps won't light. My bud who helps with my cars says the T/T will be a pain, so I am just putting it off.

Young Chuck D
07-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Also, this can be a problem with any number of GM cars. I have read that you can borrow the the lock plate remover from some auto part stores.

My 89 Cad has tilt-tele wheel and probably a burned out turn signal contact, since one of my cornering lamps won't light. My bud who helps with my cars says the T/T will be a pain, so I am just putting it off.

yea i went ahead and bought one...

i have tilt but not telescoping... my tilt is messed up, ask your guy what it takes to fix that for me. i can kinda shake the whole wheel assembly around.. its been this way since forever so don't worry about me pulling the wheel off while driving

gremlin96
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM

do the easy part first. take a jumper wire and make shure you have a good ground and put a good ground on the light bulb. use a light tester and see if you have 12 volt at the tail light. no 12volt could mean you have a brake in the wire. next test the voltage at the relay.

i had a pick up that the gound was bad for only one tail light. then for the running light a plug was bad had 12 volts all the way to the plug.

silicon212
07-20-2006, 08:22 PM

Broken lock cylinder. My car just did the EXACT SAME THING today. I did determine, however, that with enough force, I was able to start the engine. Then, with equal force, I was able to turn it off. With more force, I was able to extract the key but now the car starts without a key.

Young Chuck D
07-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Broken lock cylinder. My car just did the EXACT SAME THING today. I did determine, however, that with enough force, I was able to start the engine. Then, with equal force, I was able to turn it off. With more force, I was able to extract the key but now the car starts without a key.

what is the pattern...

19 yr old male in MD
24-45yr old female in who knows where
then you.

Add your comment to this topic!