Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chance at 77 El Camino

rwreed
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey guys,
I've been looking for a "good buy" car for my son and I to redo together. I saw a 1977 El Camino Classic last night for $700 OBO. The body is mostly straight and little rust except around the bed edges, under the chrome. Not sure if all parts are there. Will go look closer tonight.

The car is not running. 350x350 engine & trans. Missing interior. No seats or door panels. Radiator is out. Intake manifold is off. Somebody bought this piece for his son who is in a automotive tech school and then found a nicer '79 to do. This one was pushed aside.

What other seats and interior could I use? Any ideas on this one? I have a feeling at this price it won't sit long. The body parts and tailgate ater probably worth $500.

What should I look for? Should I bother? It looks like probably $500 would get it running.

Slim
Wannabe Elky owner!

Spencer99
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey man,
$700 bucks sounds pretty good. What needs to be done to the motor to get it running? $500 bucks will fix it? How many miles does the elky have? Maybe a rebult engine is nesessary. You can always go to a wrecking yard and pick up some interior pieces. I got door pannels for my 1973 el camino that are really '74 's and they fit great! Only $20! Remember, 1973-77 el caminos are pretty similar, so alot of parts are the same.
Also, what are your intensions on this build? A daily driver or a weekend toy?
Anyways, i think it is a great buy, and if you decide to go for it, congrads and welcome to the el camino family!

Good luck,
Spencer99

Add your comment to this topic!