95 Transmission problem

Scott1234
07-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a 95 Avalon XLS with 210K miles. It does not feel like the car shifts into OD. It shifts to 2nd at about 30 MPH but that is the last shift. it was probably about 50K miles ago when I last had transmission fluid changed. Is this a sign of service needed or what?

Thanks

Scott

Joe W
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Does it matter if the engine is cold or warm?
What does the transmission fluid look (red?)/smell like (burnt smell?)?
Changing the tranny fluid is a good place to start eliminating possible causes for failure.
You could also try switching out of O/D at highway speed to see if it was engaged.

Scott1234
07-19-2006, 02:46 PM
The engine can be cold or warm, does not seem to make any difference. The Transmision fluid is red and could not detect any burt order. The transmission dip stick was bent 45 degrees on the end and even after straightening it I had a heck of a time getting it back in completely. I checked my service records and it has only been 1 year about 13K miles ago that I changed the fluid.

Scott1234
07-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I took your advice and downshifted to 2nd at about 55 MPH and the it did downshift. so maybe the car is shifting into drive, but it seem their is a strain on the engine the same feeling if the car had not shifted. Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott

Add your comment to this topic!