Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 GMC Sonoma Shift Knob Removal

motorman05
07-18-2006, 02:42 AM
:banghead: Does any one know how to remove the shift knob from a 96 GMC Sonoma with a standard transmission?

rlith
07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
:banghead: Does any one know how to remove the shift knob from a 96 GMC Sonoma with a standard transmission?

Hacksaw through the knob or if you want the whole shifter removed, nut under the boot..

Blue Bowtie
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Right. The entire knob and tapered portion of the shift shaft unscrews from the top-load shift lever on the trans. There is a jamb nut on the underside of the tapered shift shaft as desscribed byrlith. I had to slightly cut the carpeting on my '96 to remove the boot. The factory procedure is to remove the entire carpet, but I found a shortcut. A small cut between the corner of the boot and the console tray is invisible after everything is assembled, but will allow just enough slack in the carpet hole to remove the shift boot. It saves a lot of time. Your other option is to remove the transmission mount and drop the rear of the trans and engine so you can access the jamb nut from under the vehicle, but the square foam flor-to-trans seal and limited access make it nearly impossible.

yomama154
12-19-2006, 07:42 PM
if i use a hack saw to get the knob off, am i going to be exposing the threads or are there non there since its just glued on???

Add your comment to this topic!