Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Toyota Corrola, audio change

Eband00
07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey guys, i have a Toyota Corrola 1990. With only 2 speakers up front. I have my 6x9 Rockford Fosgate speakers from my old car. put the 6x9 under the passenger and driver's seat, wiring from the stock speaker. the 2 6x9's will be running from my Clarion head unit giving out 54wx4 (is there any way i can squeeze 108x2 from the head unit?

Is it a good idea. Its a temprary car, im gunna build the speaker box, sealed for the 6x9. Im not getting an amp anytime soon, or new speakers.

pimprolla112
07-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Most HU's wont handle bridging, but ive put 6x9's behind the seats facing up and it sounded ok they sounded better on the rear deck.

RickwithaTbird
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
He's right, most head units will not handle that. In some cases you can bridge the rear channels to hook up a sub (I've only seen it on JVC's though), but I've never seen a HU that can bridge to 2 channels, and I doubt there is one, but I can't say nobody ever made one.

Your Instruction manual for the head unit WILL tell you definitively. It will say DO NOT do this or that. I will say DO NOT get your hopes up lol.

Eband00
07-20-2006, 03:05 PM
K, i finished installing the 2 speakers (i put the sealed boxes with 6x9's behind the drivers' and passenger's seat. It sounds great! Now i have 2 spare 6.5" but nowere to put them, is it a good idea to remove the seats, build custom sealed boxes for them, and put them under the seat? My 2 spare 6.5" are Sony Xplodes, i guess it can't sound worst than it does now, it can only go better. So im gunna use the wires made for the rear speakers for the 6.5"s ( or should i switch the wires, so the "front" speakers are under the seat, and "rear" are the 6x9's behind the seats?

Here's what im thinking in my head. http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2614/speakerta3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And what is the optimal box (in cubix feet, or inches) for a 6.5" speaker (Sony Xplode XS-W1621) And also, does it really matter if i make the box flat like i'v shown on the picture, so it feets under the seat? If i keep the same Cubic/feet number?

RickwithaTbird
07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm curious, why can't you put the 6.5s in the front door?

Eband00
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
1st of all, im doing all this to practice let's say.. Second, the corrola doesn't have anything electric.. i mean, no wires going in the doors, installing speakers in the door will mean that i wil have to cut some metal and some inside trim. I dont wanna do that.

And I am doing all this so it will be easy to remove without anything modified to the interior.

Quick question: Is it possible to make the seats a little higher by putting some washers between the seat and the frame? maybe make it half an inch higher or smthing like that, it would help alot. will it change something? is it a good idea?

pimprolla112
07-20-2006, 06:22 PM
No the way the seats are mounted the mounts are at an angle so it would only push them out, I wouldnt put any speakers under a seat it would make a muffled sound. You might be able to move the back up if i remember right the mounts on the back are flat. If you can get some extra kick panels from the front shouldnt be hard from a junkyard you could make your own kick panel enclosures. I would keep the speakers behind the seat, and maybe the kickpanels, or a decent set of 4" speakers for the dash. Also getting the speakers out of the dash is a bitch.

Eband00
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
OK, thx for the info. I allready got them off the dash, it was no problem. I took the wires from those speakers, and wired them to the 6x9's behind the seat.

I guess i'll have to forget about puttin speakers under the seat. Do u think its possible to make a custom kick panel out od MDF? And integreate the 2 6.5" in them? i think its possible.

RickwithaTbird
07-20-2006, 06:41 PM
It's definitely possible. But is it desireable? Are you just going to make them flat? Or do you have extensive tools to grind and cut the MDF?

I'm the type to say go for it. Build what you can and when you're done you'll be that much smarter. Even if it doesn't come out great you can't avoid learning a few things that would help you make better ones next time. I say grab a small bondo kit though, and make a speaker ring to mount to a piece of MDF. Then use the bondo to blend them together and wrap it all in vinyl. It's still a very simple job, but much better, easier results than using MDF alone.

Eband00
07-20-2006, 08:50 PM
What if i make a custom back panel of mdf? behind the passenger seats. I have a big enough piece. I think i can do it.

pimprolla112
07-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Is it a 4 door or a 2 door rolla, If you decide to go with the mdf behind the seat i would use the 6x9's there and then make something for the 6.5's either behind the seats, kick panel or something along those lines depending on where you want the sound to come from. If you put the 6x9's behind the seat and fold them down and make an enclosure setup and put a small like 35-50 watt amp to them they would put out some sound. I did so much shit to my corolla it wasnt even funny. At one time when i was younger i put 2 infinity perfects in a sealed box, 2 polks in a sealed box and a set of shitty flew market subs in ajensen bandpass all at once it stomped but it wasnt worth it now that i think about it. I mad custom adapters for the 4" speakers in the dash so i could mount some 4x6 plates, i made cutouts for speakers in the doors (required some sheat metal work). I bought some retarded shit then now ive learned and am still in that process.

Eband00
07-21-2006, 07:38 AM
But see, i dont wanna modify the body itself, and i dont think im skilled or expierienced enough to make custom kicker panels. As for the back panel, i removed it, i have a big enough piece of mdf at my house (5/8 thickness) and i think i can make a custom back panel all of mdf+ speaker boxes with vents, cause they can't be 2 big. If i separate each half of the panel, then i'll be able to put it in place, and there is some places where i can screw the panel in. If u check it out, there are big empty screw holes in the back, when u remove the panel, that are not used.

For the amp, i dont wanna mess with an amp right now, cause i dont want to rewire the whole care, unless i can connect that amp from the stock speaker wires themselves?

JunkTitleGolf
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
...Wow I got confused. So the dash speaker wire is powering the speakers behind your seat? And that means the speaker wire for behind your seat is powering what? Anyways, it's not that hard at all to mount speakers in doors. Probably the hardest part would be running the wire through the door. And all that takes is a drill bit and some rubber grommets. Well, hopefully something works out for you.

RickwithaTbird
07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I think the point is that the car has no mounting location for speakers in the front doors. That would require cutting and fitting, which is harder than running wires. And damaging to the body, no less.

What I've done before and you could easily do, is make a plate which you can mount to the bottom of the rear deck. If you want to mount a sealed or vented box to the rear deck, you could do that too. I think it would be more practical than building a wall behind the seats, because what if you need your seats up? Or what if you actually want to use the trunk access? Or what if you just don't want to always have to put the back seat down every time you get in the car? That will get old real quick.

I think you could build a pair of custom kick panels if you tried. I have faith in you. Even if it's not a professional looking pair, you could build a decent pair pretty easily. Just go with your original idea of a flat MDF. Angle the board so the speakers parftially face out, and sand the board to give it some shape. If you just wrap it in vinyl or suede it would look good.

Not to mention, every time you do any custom work you will learn something new or come up with a new idea. Just start simple and you'll be surprised how many ideas you'll get.

Eband00
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
k guys, i build a custom speaker enclosure to fit the 6.5" behind the back seats ( on the deck.) now.. i sealed all the cracks.. but at high volume and loud bass.. i hear the air sqweaks.. is it possible thats it comes out from the speakers themselves? cause i remember when i did the hole a tad bigger.. so the speaker moves a bit before i screwed it. i would think the air is coming out through the sides of the speaker and the speaker caps... should i try sealing them too? the speaker caps?

bjboertje
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
use weather stripping to seal the speakers.
speaker caps?:screwy:

Eband00
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
by speake cap.. i mean speaker cover.. u know.. when u buy a speaker.. it comes with a cover..

And weather strip? what is that.. how do i put it? were?

PaulD
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
weather stripping is a small strip of flexible rubber like material like

Eband00
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
and where do i put it, arround the rim of the speaker, or in the crease under the rim?

pimprolla112
07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
You can also use non-drying silicone, i like that better because the weather-stripping stays flat and the silicone you can fill whatever you need to make it airtight. Weather-stripping you out between the speaker mounting surface and the enclosure.

Eband00
08-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Finally, im 100% positiv its not my box leaking, i'v sealed everything..

The air is coming out through the middle of the speaker itself..

I'v listened closly, and thats were it comes out from, iv'v used weather stripping and huge screws to secure the speaker in place, it helped, cuz i did hae some leaks from the sides.. now it goes through the middle.

I think im gunna look for a component set. 6.5"

What is the best one for about 150-200$??

I am looking at the Rockford Fosgate P162S... On Ebay, they are about 100$, are they any good? They sell for 249.99 at bestbuy..

pimprolla112
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
MB QUART, or infinity for comps, i like the alpine type-r's too, but im really happy with my mb-quart 5.25"s.

Eband00
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Any specific model? Cheaper it is, better it is for me.. i dont have a lot of money and school starts soon. Thats speaker box i built for the 2 6.5" has a 2.5"+5/8" mounting depth. SO i think im good for any 6.5 inchers right?

Add your comment to this topic!