Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

quick question, in need of quick answer

im4an2idiot0
07-17-2006, 12:38 PM
ok well im resetting my gain for the system, and i just bought a new headunit and it has a option on the headunit for sub level goes from -10 to +10, when im setting my gains, should i put that level at 0 or at +10?

PlayStation3
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
it is up to you some might say since hu feeds the amp that it would better to have the hu up but others will say that it will just make your amp work harder then it has to

Mannyb18b
07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
^ dont listen to that. What unit do you have? an Alpine it sounds like maybe. Other than that if it is not the alpine, the level control could be a boost for a certain frequency, an for that set your gains with it at 0. But remember if you turn that up with gains already set, you will clip the signal sooner.

JunkTitleGolf
07-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Some sony models also have it. My ex's did. They call it the Sub out feature. And it was adjustable.

PaulD
07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
set it at 0 when doing the gains and everything ... that will give you +/- 10 dB of adjustemnt if you need a little more or less bass - depending on the song.

00accord44
07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
All the Sony Xplod's (that I've seen including mine) have Sub Preouts and controls. But I agree with PaulD, set your amp with the HU at 0 for Sub Control then adjust as you wish on the HU later keeping in mind that depending on the bass patterns, large variances could comprimise sound quality a little bit, but this is true either way you do it. :2cents:

RickwithaTbird
07-20-2006, 02:18 PM
To get the bass as loud as it will play while still sounding good, you should have an equal amount of boost from all boost sources. Your sub out, gain, and amp's bass boost. A lot of times I find that if the HU is set to 0 then I have to turn the amp up too much. For this reason I like to start with the HU at +10. I turn the amp's bass boost and gain up equally until it is just too far, and then I turn down the sub a few notches. Maybe fine tune it just a little bit more, but this way when a song doesn't have enough bass, you don't have to distort your HU signal all the way to a 10db boost. You would only have to turn it to about 5 or 6 which is still a relatively good signal. And use that setting as a reference point.

It's more logical to have all your settings equal as opposed to a 0db boost here and a 10 db boost there. I'd prefer to have two 5db boost settings, and when that is too much, just turn the HU down. In this way, you don't have to turn your amp gains up so much for max volume.

edit: I also see why you would start at zero. I know that my way is just a preference. I just prefer an equal setting at all times cuz I'm a bass junkie and I like it as loud as the equipment can go.

Mannyb18b
07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
^ or get better equipment

RickwithaTbird
07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
my 12" alpine type R's and my mmats 1000D qualify as good equipment. But universally speaking, that's a good point too.

Mannyb18b
07-21-2006, 03:29 PM
The way you set up your adjustments on your amplifiers is completley wrong. If you set up your stuff correctly, you would not need those "methods" you use, bass boost just boosts the signal at a "certain" frequency, usually 50hz or 45hz, which results in a peaky ass response. You might be able to stand it, but don't suggest those ways to other people, as they might have a better ear than you do.

PaulD
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
well, I often use my bass boost knob on my amp to help with my bass shelf curve to prevent having to use my EQ as much. I try and keep my EQ adjustments to no more than +/- 6 dB on any one band, to prevent inevitable sound quality degredation.

alphalanos
07-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Just set your gain depending on the amp output, then use the level to fine tune bass depending on the song.

RickwithaTbird
07-22-2006, 02:28 PM
The way you set up your adjustments on your amplifiers is completley wrong. If you set up your stuff correctly, you would not need those "methods" you use, bass boost just boosts the signal at a "certain" frequency, usually 50hz or 45hz, which results in a peaky ass response. You might be able to stand it, but don't suggest those ways to other people, as they might have a better ear than you do.

Like I said before you posted this response, it is my preference. I know what I'm doing. My equipment never needs to go beyond +6db boosts. I eq my system for my bass heavy music. I tried a million and one methods and I like this one the best for consistent/maximum bass performance. I said you may want to fine tune it a little bit more... But I'm not going to tell you how to wipe your ass.

Mannyb18b
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
I know what I'm doing.

lol, ya, you were the one running sony xplodes an audiobling

an as oppose to your PM, I'm not really all that cocky jus have a wierd attitude seen on this forum, this is why I will be takin my opinions an statements elsewhere in the CA community where not everything is taken so seriously. Time to go win me some events!!!

bjboertje
07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
hey, paul is a god, i mean mod, again:worshippy

RickwithaTbird
07-23-2006, 03:32 PM
lol, ya, you were the one running sony xplodes an audiobling

an as oppose to your PM, I'm not really all that cocky jus have a wierd attitude seen on this forum, this is why I will be takin my opinions an statements elsewhere in the CA community where not everything is taken so seriously. Time to go win me some events!!!

Just because I couldn't afford anything better than sony or audiobahn at one time, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. You're foolish to even say that. A good installer can make almost anything sound good. I would know because I've been forced to. I'm surprised that you're in competitions and can't figure out how to get good sound out of cheap stuff. But then again I guess I'm not. Anybody can get good sound out of good stuff.

Integra4200
07-24-2006, 12:01 AM
yeah i just got my 15" tumult hooked up to my 2000 watt hifonics i have my gain turned up almost all the way and no bass boost i dont like the way it makes it sound. im not a pro or anything i just go with what sounds good.

PaulD
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Manny does SPL .... not SQ.

GSFrankieVtec
07-26-2006, 12:26 AM
It doesant matter man just put it at +10, turn everything all the way up thats how you get the loudest sound

RickwithaTbird
07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
It doesant matter man just put it at +10, turn everything all the way up thats how you get the loudest sound

well, where were you a few days ago? I guess we were both wrong, LOL.

Just turn all dat shit up son!!! There you have it. lmao

Add your comment to this topic!