Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CVPI making crazy noise

glen107wood
07-17-2006, 09:28 AM
i have a 96 CVPI with 68k miles. it is making a pinging/ticking sound from behind the dash on the passenger side. it only does it when i feather the accelerator or when i stomp it( under full load ). the oil level and pressure is fine and i also used an octane boost in a bottle to see if that would help. mechanics have thought it was an exhaust leak ( and so did i at first ) until you really listen to it. it just comes from that one spot though, right behind the bottom of the dash on the passenger side. it is not that loud unless i stomp the gas ( with the radio on, you can barely hear it when feathered ). you cant hear it from under the hood or anywhere outside the car. an exhaust leak would be audible from more places than inside the cab. PLEASE HELP

also, i googled "ford knock" and i got hits for a ford knock sensor. WTF is that? i have never heard of it.

BMW320i
08-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Does it make noise just sitting there. It could be a ping or a premature igniting of the fuel just before it is supposed to fire. It makes a ping noise. There is no adjustable timing to take out pings in these 4.6L's. They have a knock sensor and my TC always pinged but not real loud. Enough to concern me though. But what you are dscribing does not seem to be a Ping to me. One thing that will benifit you is take out those high end expensive platinum plugs and put in the cheapest autolites you can find. NOT PLATINUM. These plugs and engines don't mix well. Platinum runs hot and stays hot. It can cause a ping by itself. You will I guarantee notice a power increase by doing this. I did this in both my TC and my Mark VIII. I was truly amazed at the power difference. If it still pings or makes noise prob somehting else. It could be a loose plug as well. This sounds like a tap and the noise would be isolated.

gskellogg
01-19-2007, 10:39 PM
My 1997 had the same problem, it could be the cadallic converter.

Add your comment to this topic!