Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

swap my 318 to a 360

moto503
07-17-2006, 01:21 AM
i have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 . the truck runs great i have upgraded to ignition and exhaust ( headers and mufflers , plus no more cat thank god its off she runs alot cooler too. ) also , K&N cold air intake with under drive pullys . but it still runs like a dog off the line . i have the dana 44 front axle too. i want to upgrade it to the 360 crate engine from jegs with 390hp and 420 pounds of torque . will it fit in and is it worth it ? i use the truck for work and towing trailers plus i would need a new tranny too .

neon_rt
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
An engine swap is much more than swapping the engine these days.
What plans do you have for the factory FI/Ignition system?
You still have to retain all of the systems in working order for your vehicle to work properly. The instrument panel is controlled by a body controller that is connected to the engine controller which also controls transmission function.
If you throw in a crate engine with a 4 bbl and provide your own ignition, you will not have a working instrument panel or properly shifting transmission or ABS or etc....
You can swap a 360 and engine controller in from another RAM donor truck (has to be a compatible year). You may have to have a Dodge dealer re-flash the VIN and mileage for the controller to work. Starting around 2001 or so, the engine controllers won't work if the VIN of the truck doesn't match the VIN flashed in the controller. After you have that running properly you can add whatever bolt-ons you want. MP ALuminum R/T heads, headers, exhaust, Hypertech or other programmer, M1 intake, Magnum R/T cam etc. You can get about 320hp from bolt-ons vs 230hp for the stock 318 or 245hp for a stock 360.

Add your comment to this topic!