Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Idea?

Bong_the_Monkey
08-11-2002, 10:55 PM
I was sitting at my modelling desk looking at some of my finshed kits and some of my current kits and I can up with this idea, what about taking an american muscle car and drop a modern, front wheel drive, 4 or 6 cyclinder engine in it? I might be able to get a hold of Revell's 1970 Chevelle kit from a friend, he built it and lost a few engine peices and doesn't want it anymore. Now here is my real question. What engine should I use? I was thinking of the Honda NSX Type-R engine and it's suspension but it is a mid-engine car so the I wouldn't be able to use the suspension peices, atleast I don't think so because it wouldn't have the steering peices. What engine and suspension set-ups do you guys suggest? I am not really worried about the rear suspension because I can scratch built it, or attempt to, lol!

TheSyndicate
08-11-2002, 11:54 PM
I'd say go with the revell integra type r. It's probably the cheapest import car kit, and then you can use the rest of the car as a curbside kit; maybe try some new paint jobs on it like flames or something. Personally I wouldn't want to buy a 40 dollar tamiya kit just to put the engine into another car.

The idea doesn't seem too difficult. You just need to accomodate the engine bay for the engine, then work around with the transmission and half axles since its a fwd car.

Bong_the_Monkey
08-12-2002, 12:09 AM
I don't have to worry about buy a whole kit. My local hobby shop will order me the parts I need. So I just have to tell them the kit number and part number. So if I need an engine from say, a Taymia kit the can order the engine tree from Taymia Canada. So, anymore ideas? I would like an engine with a turbo or something that what the car would still be a muscle car. Is the 300zx a fwd car?

Lownslow
08-12-2002, 12:37 AM
Is the 300zx a fwd car?

answer no

Bong_the_Monkey
08-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Well, I got the Chevell kit from my friend. It is missing a few more peices then I thought! It doesn't have the radiator or the peice between the rad and grill. Also it is missing the rear bumper and the blower and intake thingy. I was thinking about what engine to use, so I tried the Integra engine and it looked too small, most likely the scale difference. So I opened my NSX kit and got out the basics of the engine and tested them in the Chevelle engine bay. The NSX engine fills the space a bit better but I don't know if I want to try to make the kit a front wheel drive car. So I got thinking again, it is never a good thing when I start to think. I have a few kits/projects to finish first but what I was thinking was since I want to build a Nissian 300zx or Skyline or Supra I could buy the kit, build the kit when ever and order the engine peices from Taymia Canada and put the engine in the Chevelle. What do you guys think of that? Chevelle with a twin turbo 300zx engine or possibly an engine from a Skyline or Supra?

TheSyndicate
08-13-2002, 12:16 AM
I've always been a fan of putting old, large ci engines into modern economy cars.

Add your comment to this topic!