Coil Transistor? '89 P/U - Help!!

Ryehoon
07-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi all!
I just bought an '89 & it's stuck in a different city, but it was having the same problem as everyone is describing here. I got it started, I guess the guy I bought it from replaced the coil, and in doing so broke a wire coming out of the coil's wiring harness that connects to something I can only call a transistor, bolted to the manifold(maybe valve cover), but I just stripped the wire a bit & stuck it back in the hole in this 'mystery part', and it fired up like a champ! But it is very loose, & dies as soon as the wire rattles out.Does anyone recognize the wire in the pic below? I'm looking to replace it b4 my new truck gets towed, but can't find a reference to what it is exactly anywhere. Thanx for any input!

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5229/ignitiondiagramqi3.png

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1166/isuzucoilmc3.jpg
This isn't quite as accurate, but it definitely shows the shape & size of the part I need to replace. ANY advice is welcome! I appreciate anything anyone can tell me.

SuperNac
07-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Did you ever find out what that wire was that was leading to the coil? I've got a 94 pickup that keeps losing spark. I've changed dist, coil, coil wire, dist cap, rotor button and it worked for a few weeks then quit again. I just got a new dist under warranty so hopefully I got a bad one on the first go around.

Anyways I was wanting to inspect the same wire harness that you were discussing and I have no clue what the 3rd hook up is. 2 of them are coil and ignition module.

Ryehoon
07-26-2006, 05:58 AM
As a matter of fact I did! It turns out to be a 'Radio Frequeny Noise Suppressor'. Some people call it a condenser as well, but you can find one at Rockauto.com for a couple bucks. I couldn't wait for the shipping, so I just put the broken end of wire back into the condenser, and dropped a small bit of solder on the joint, and the truck was running great until yesterday when the damn fuel pump took a dive on me! I swear, if it's not one thing it's another, at least that's how my luck with vehicles goes. Anyhow, I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!