Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Draining Fuel tank on '89

Commodore Woods
07-15-2006, 08:53 PM
My '89 Park Ave. Puked it's tranny last week right after I filled the tank, go figure, now I want to get the gas out of the tank and use it in my other car, any recomendations on how to siphon the tank? I tried putting a small hose into the tank but I can't get it into the tank. Any recomendations?

MT-2500
07-15-2006, 09:13 PM
My '89 Park Ave. Puked it's tranny last week right after I filled the tank, go figure, now I want to get the gas out of the tank and use it in my other car, any recomendations on how to siphon the tank? I tried putting a small hose into the tank but I can't get it into the tank. Any recomendations?

Forget the arkanasaw credit card. It is not good for getting gas out of the newer tanks.:grinyes: :rofl: :lol:
If the fuel pump is still working hook it up and pump it out.
Other than that which is not very safe punch a hole in the bottom and drain it.
Good luck
MT

DioGreer
07-16-2006, 03:35 PM
you should be able to siphon. The key is to get your source car high up so you can siphon directly to another car's gas tank. I'm talking at least 2 feet higher. this is crucial for siphoning without pumps or using an intermediate container.

Get some tubing (I think vinyl will work) about 3/8" inside diameter about 10-15 feet long (or much longer if you want to siphon down a hill or something, taking advantage of local topography). insert about 6' into the tank and carefully draw liquid in the tube not inhaling (helps if youve smoked cigars and dont inhale :D). Once liquid is outside the tank in the tube (make sure your tube is transparent), very carefully get the liquid below the level of the tank, then it should start flowing.

the key is elevation. get creative.

Alibi
07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Just disconnect the fuel filter and connect (and clamp) down a hose directly to the fuel line. Then turn over the key and let the pump shoot the gas out for you. Just fyi, it is coming out at a high pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!