Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got an Accent gave to me....

Bodaggit
07-15-2006, 10:18 AM
I just got an accent gave to me not too long ago.

Being free and all it needs a little work.

Pretty soon I'm going to start going at it pretty good.

It's a 2000 model, standard transmission, very basic model, no a/c or anything. The only thing it has is a tape player.

I'm hoping that it will wind up being very cheap on gas.

The clutch is out in it now. So I'll be replacing the clutch first off.

Also needs a new Mass Air Flow Sensor, but they are so costly, I'd like to be able to find a cheaper place to get one.

The flex pipe on the exhaust is loose on one end too. Is it best to try and have it welded back, or just buy that whole new section?

Other than that, it has 160,000 miles on it already. I'm unsure of last time it was tuned up, so I'll be doing those things as well.

Since it was free I can afford to put a little money into it.

I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should be watching for while working on it or not.

Any info on anything would be of help.

Morgardee
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I've gone thru a lot of problems with my car (same as you describe, less milage on it). Anyhow, first thing, has the timing belt changed yet? If not then look into that right away. I've replace 2 air sensors (forget the names), had the rods and gasgets chaged in the 4th gear (over drive), the flex pipe was welded back together and now the dang car feels like it looses power when I first start it up in the morning. It will start no problem but when I throw it in drive drive out my driveway and hit the street it will slow right down even as I put my foot down. This lasts only about 5 seconds but it also feels like power dips when sitting at the lights.

I'm ready to shoot it. I can see why you got your for free. I use to love how cheap this car was on parts but after dropping around $2000.00 or so in the past 8 months I pretty sick of bringing this back to life.

Add your comment to this topic!