Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

nonoperational supra

columbomd
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
i have a 1986.5 supra that has been sitting for two years .what needs to done to make it operational again:what kinds of shops do this work and how much could something like this cost?

columbomd:banghead:

TcmaBoy
07-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I guess you need to start by changing all the fluids, the battery, drain the gas tank, fill it with fresh gas, change the fuel filter, plugs and wires, and change the battery. Once you have done all this then give her a crank. It will either start or it won't. You will have to troubleshoot from there. A shop can end up costing a lot of money. If you have a daily driver then I would say that you have a good car to learn on.

MagicRat
07-16-2006, 10:00 AM
good post^^

In addition, I might suggest before doing this work, pull the plugs, squirt about a teaspoon of ATF fluid down into each cylinder and try to turn the engine over by hand, that is, use a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft pully. If it moves, turn it over a few times by hand. This will distribute the oil on the cylinder walls and help ensure the engine is not seized by rust.

If the car was stored in a reasonably dry location, even if it's outside, the engine should not be stuck. If it was parked in a Florida saltwater swamp for 2 years, you may have a problem.

Add your comment to this topic!