Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking at 2000 9-5 w/ 2.3 LITER TURBO

xamper
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
hey folks,

i am thinking about buying a 9-5. i am going to test drive a 2000 9-5 wagon 2.3L turbo with 30,000 miles on it.

what do i need to watch out for.

thanks for your help.

jim

mbunakeith
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
make sure the heater box works. make sure the air distribution system moves smooth without any noise(popping/snapping) when the air flows from def/dash/floor. very expensive fix.
timing cover leaks-faulty pcv system pushed oil out the timing cover.
throttle bodies are crap on these. expect to replace one every couple years or so.
these have the propensity to nickel and dime you to death.

seraph boy
10-30-2006, 10:50 AM
They are great cars although there is one fault with the old ones. The engine stops working due to a clog up inside it. It usually explodes and causes you to have a bill of up to £10,000. My dad had one and traded it in a few months ago as this can happen any time after there first year. So check everything in the engine and if you want to find out more on the problems in the engine go to saab forums and ask abiout it there and you will be abe to get advice on the car.
great car though and very reliable aprt from that. This problem doesn't occur on the latest 9-5's.

Katsura
11-03-2006, 06:00 AM
What he said, but NOT as serious as that.

It doesn't happen for no reason, what you need to look out for, is that the car has a FULL service record, with each service interval at aroun 12000 miles.

The Engine sludge/ seize problem is caused by a faulty PCV pick up pipe design, and does not only happen to Saabs, Toyotas, Fords etc also have cars with this same problem.

As long as the previous owner changed oil at regular intervals per service record (12000 miles), you are covered by Saab's entended 8 year warantee on Engines.

After you bought the car, have the oil sump dropped and check for sludge, and the PCV hose changed if it's becomeing squishy, We 9-5 drivers recommend regular oil change at 5000~6000 miles with full synth oil.

With a little care, you 9-5 can go for years, I know 9-5s that has done 120~150k miles and still going strong, mine has just ticked over to 102K and the engine as smooth as the day it came off the assembly line.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

This link tells you all you need to know for picking a 9-5 up.

seraph boy
11-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Yes you are right this doesn't just happen to saabs but the models made around the year 2000, it has occured quite requently, so you do have to look out for this. Do what Katsura and you should be fine

Add your comment to this topic!