Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low coolant light and car overheated at idle

Xalis
07-14-2006, 07:40 AM
I was at the drive in sitting at idle listening to the movie on my stereo. I had to sit at idle because i have 2 amps hooked up to my system drawing 900 rms. All of a sudden i noticed steam coming from under the hood and shut my car off. The temp gauge was at max and the car was hot. I popped the hood and let it cool down, then added water to the coolant reservour. I noticed some coolant leaked out near the reservour down on the body and frame. There was no coolant by the engine or flung around like when a water pump is leakin. I was wondering if you guys have any idea what happened or what I should look for to be broken. After i added the water and my car cooled down, I drove home without any problem.

Also the low coolant light comes on everytime I shift at high rpms (its an automatic) but the coolant is never very low at all, maybe 6 oz low.

jakegday
07-14-2006, 08:15 AM
my low coolant light comes on EVERY time i put im foot in the accelerator, or make a sharp turn, if it was your water pump you would not have driven home without any problem, are you sure your radiator fan is kicking on??

Cavalier2000
07-14-2006, 04:11 PM
or thermy? take that water out as well and put in antifreeze

Xalis
07-14-2006, 04:33 PM
not sure about the fan, probably wasnt but i dunno

Xalis
07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
fan relay, all fluids are changed and fixed

dynastyperformance
08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
the coolant light is normal , mine stays on for a bit everytime i take off or let the engine wind above 4 grand

99chevycav
08-04-2006, 10:28 PM
i had the same problem with the low coolant light coming on when accerating and sharp turns.added some coolant and light hasn't been on since.

Add your comment to this topic!