Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1968 rocker panel molding help

gun nut
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I had new fenders and quarters put on a 68 goat[same as chevelle] and bought a new molding clip set to attach rocker panel moldings on.I'm not sure on how the clips go on...The 4 on the rocker are obvious but the long rocker clips with one hole in them have me confused.Do they hold trim on from top edge or the bottom??I also got to plastic screw inserts with them and have no idea where they go.My new fenders and quarters do not have any holes drilled in them for the clips..anybody got a pic or schematic explaining this to me.

Thanks,Gun Nut

highlandlake
07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Gun nut,

Here's what I did on mine.....
My '68 car did not have molding on before, so I bought a set of decent used trim and went to work on it. First I bought the little screws that have the purpose of replacing the original welded-on studs. I drilled a series of small holes in the body in the centerline of where the trim would go. (I think it's a 3/32" drill bit) I spaced them about 4 inches apart. Next I put in the screws, being careful because they strip like a bit*h. If they do strip, simply drill another hole next to it and silicone the old hole shut, it won't be noticable. Now for the trim clips, I couldn't find the exact clips to fit the trim. So I went to three auto parts stores and finally found something real close at CarQuest. There are white and all plastic - no springs. To use these clips I had to heat up the plastic a little with a lighter and trim off about 1/32" from each end. Trial and error, so I bought two boxes of clips to play around with, they are cheap. After they are trimmed, I fit the clips along the inside of the molding and do a test fit. Make sure the clips are positioned in a way that the trim will slide toward the back of the car to lock the clips in. That way the windspeed will help keep the trim on. When it looks good, I put a good sized dab of blue silicone all around the inside of the trim where the clip is. (My car is blue so it won't show if it squeezes out a little) Then you slide the trim in place and let it dry. Worked for me, they haven't budged. Let me know if you want a part number for the CarQuest clips. Tom

gun nut
07-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I appreciate the help but I have finally figured it out.The long plate clips fasten from the bottom of the rocker moulding and screw to the rocker from underneath.Thanks for the help,
Gun Nut

Add your comment to this topic!