98 Caravan no cruise control light

WarrenB
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
On a trip one day the cruise control just wouldn't come on one day. No cruise control light when the button on the steering wheel is pushed.
I searched the forum and read about clocksprings and brake switches, but I am wondering if it could be a fuse. Does anyone know where/or if the cruise control has a fuse?

The horn works and no airbag light comes on. I have about 110,000 miles on it don't know if the clockspring was ever changed under a recall. Someone posted that if the cruise is not working the recall still applies?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Warren B.

Bear
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
To my knowledge, the recall still applies so have the dealer run your VIN and they will be able to tell if yours has been done. The clockspring will or can influence, cruise, turn signals. wipers to name a few things, I do not beleive there is a fuse for the cruise (I never found one on my 1996 Caravan).

pasquot
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
I have almost the same problem. No cruse control, no horn. What is clocksprng? Where is it? What exactly does it control? Mine is a 96 GC with 142k.

Bear
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Clockspring (looks just like a giant clock spring) is a device that sits behind the air bag module and winds and unwinds as you turn the steering wheel. This device ensures electrical continuity among various devices on the steering column. All (I believe 1996-2001?) Caravans were recalled for a faulty clockspring issue, if yours has not been done, take VIN to a delare and let them check your car for compliance.

RIP
07-15-2006, 01:18 PM
WarrenB - Don't see a fuse on the Haynes schematic but, I wouldn't concider a Haynes manual the bible of maintenance manuals. Maybe someone with the factory manuals will give the final word.

If you don't have one buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual. The schematic is good enough to check continuity through the clockspring and on through the staulk switch and brake switch - my first thought on the source of the problem. Use a little CYA logic first and disconnect the battery so you don't blow an airbag. Could ruin your day.

WarrenB
07-30-2006, 01:51 PM
I thank RIP and BEAR for helpful replies. BEAR is right about recall still applies. I took Caravan to dealer and they replaced clockspring for free. Cruise control works fine now. It still cost me $500 to get out of the dealers for other things. It seems thats the minimum amount to visit a dealer these days!

WarrenB

RIP
07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, at least it's fixed. I'm almost afraid to ask. What did they charge you $500 for?

WarrenB
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
The unexpected charge was $350 for a new oil pan because "the threads are stripped and we can not guarantee your oil plug will not fall out as you drive away".

I had asked for an oil change and radiator flush.

RIP
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Well ok, that makes sense. Thanks for passing the info. I was just hoping you didn't get screwed somehow. You didn't. Cheers!

polarisxcr
08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
IF YOU WANT TO CHECK FOR CHRYSLER RECALLS (INCLUDING THE 96-98 CHRYSLER MINIVANS WHERE THE CLOCK SPRINGS ARE ALL COVERED REGARDLESS IF THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED) THIS IS THE LINK http://www-5.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29

bigj-dog
08-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks polarisxcr, you saved me a ton of research, my cruise went out yesterday and my recall is still open, so it should be working in time for my trip to Milwuakee this weekend.

Add your comment to this topic!