Help with stereo install please!

z28 USMCamaro
07-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I bought a new kenwood cd player to replace the existing casette player in my moms 97 toyota avalon. I removed the casette player and was informed that to connect the cd player i would have to go to the amplifier and wire into that wiring harness. I dropped the glovebox and can see the amplifier but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how i should go about doing this and what I should use(the wiring in the harness that came with the stereo is only about 6 inches long) any help would be appreciated

Brian R.
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the AF!

http://www.installdr.com/

contourdrvr1
07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
look man all you have to do is buy the connector harness that will let you patch into the factory wiring without having to cut or splice into the existing wiring, trust me you cut those wires and you will not get your factory radio working again without a trip to the dealer for them to fix it, I know that's what i did with my 97 avalon and the dealer cost me 350.00 to fix it. If you need to know where to get the wiring let me know i will tell you where you can get it for under $13 ok.

ecarlson
07-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Here is what I have determined, but I haven't tested it yet (I plan to test it next weekend).

If your 97 Avalon factory amp and speakers are fine (mine are), apparently you can use the Metra 70-8112 wiring adapter to connect an aftermarket radio (as long as it has line outputs) to the factory amp.

The Metra 70-8112 can be picked up at Circuity City for $18.99, or ordered from audiooutfitter.com for $8.27 + shipping. Other places also sell it, but most are a lot more expensive than these two places.

ecarlson
07-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Okay, I couldn't wait, so I tested it this evening. The Metra 70-8112 adapter works great for connecting the line-outputs of an aftermarket car stereo to the 97 Avalon's built in amp. It was very quick and simple to connect to the radio, because there were only 4 wires and 4 RCA connectors to connect.

The stereo I installed only had one set of line outputs, so I also picked up a couple of RCA Y-adapters from Target for $4 each (CC only had Y-adapters at rip-off prices), so I could connect the left and right line outputs on the radio to both the front and rear line inputs on the amp (adapter). I always keep the front-rear fader in the center position anyway, so it makes no difference to me. I did tape the RCA connectors together, to prevent anything from touching the small gap of exposed metal, and to prevent them from coming loose.

The only thing I don't know about is what to do with the second, smaller antenna connector, so I only connected the regular-sized antenna connector. Does anyone know if I need some sort of adapter so I can hook up both antenna leads to the radio?

Add your comment to this topic!