Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with decals

orangegsx
07-13-2006, 01:31 AM
I'm workin on a tamiya Repsol nsr-500 98 and i'm having a horrible time with the decals. I apply the decal with solvaset and it wrinkles up everytime and looks like crap. This is my first of like 10 moto gp kits so i need to learn how to do this right before i start another kit, this one is pretty much ruined but i guess thats practice. I have read all the help posts about applying decals, i'm doin everything right i believe,,, what setting solution do you guys use with tamiya decals?

600sel
07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Maybe you get better results wit Micro Set and Micro Sol.

cyberkid
07-13-2006, 04:47 AM
I personally use Gunze's Mr Mark Setter/Softer. Just have to be carefull using the Mr Softer, it eats/ softens the decals a little too fast for my taste.

ZoomZoomMX-5
07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
From my experience Solvaset is too strong for 95% of kit decals. Either dilute Solvaset with water or use other decal softeners. Micro Set (under decal) and Micro Sol (over decal) are much less harsh, but even they can be too strong for some decals. They work well in conjunction w/a small hairdryer that will make them "shrink wrap" to the model.

Tamiya decals work well often w/o any aids or just a very hot/wet towel used to press them into place.

Scale-Master
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Yes, Solvaset is too hot for almost everything, especially the newer Tamiya decals. Usually you only need a little decal solvent to coax them to conform in a few spots.
I use the Mr. Mark Softer and usually it is pretty forgiving, but depending on how thick the decals are, how much ink was used to print them, who printed them, how old they are, and a whole host of other variables, you need to test cautiously with each sheet. Sometimes the decal will react in seconds, other times it may take several minutes. Patience is the key... - Mark

Add your comment to this topic!