94 Dodge Ram stumbles and idles rough

BillNeugent
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 w/auto. Lately it's been idling rough, stumbling when I accelerate, and backfires though the intake. Even when I'm going down the the road in between 1000 and 2000 I can watch the tach go up and down. Just like it's surging. I've changed the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel pump, fuel line, cat and exhast. I was wondering if someone else has had this problem.

Austin8214
07-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Check timing and make sure your fireing order is right.

BillNeugent
07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Is there a special procedure that has to be done in order to check the timing? Other than using the test light, I know most carb vechicles you have to take off the vaccum advance. But does this vehicle have a vaccum advance? For the most part its showing to be in time.

neon_rt
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
The ignition and fuel are controlled by a computer and is not adjustable. You are 99.9% wasting your time to check the timing. Sounds like a sensor problem, giving the computer bad readings. It also can be a vacuum leak. I've also seen stuck EGR valves give the same result. The items that you have replaced (although some of them may have had a minor contribution) have not addressed the actuall problem. You should be testing the Throttle Body Position sensor (very common failure) and MAP sensor. These two sensors go out the most and is most influential on the Injection/Ignition amounts/timing. You should also be doing a Vacuum test to determine if air is leaking into the system, throwing the Fuel Injection computer off.

bratt
07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
i am having the same problems with a 92 dodge ram

how do i check to see if the MASS AIR FLOW Sensore is good. with a multimeter??????????

how do i check the throttle body sensor to see if its good?

neon_rt
07-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Dodges don't have Mass Air Flow sensors.
Do a search, many people have posted testing procedures , no need to start a new one.

bratt
08-05-2006, 01:27 AM
actually i checked my computer and i got code 37

throttle unlock solenoid is having an error

does any1 know where this throttle unlock solenoid is location aka PTU

my dodge ram stumbles on idle and mirfires if i accelerate i cannot seem to get the timing done the mechanics have tryed but say i need to get the PTU throttle unlock solenoid fixed

Add your comment to this topic!