2001 5.4 Changing Fuel Filter

Millermagic
07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Our 2001 5.4 has been sputtering lately at part throttle cruise and accellerating.

At first, it doesn't do it, but as the truck runs longer, it gets worse. Turning it off for a few minutes helps - either clogged fuel filter or water in gas right?

How would I change the fuel filter.

yotermanic
07-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Do you have a check engine light on? It sounds more like an ignition miss, than a fuel problem to me. Anyhow, if you want to try a fuel filter first, you need the little spring release tools, you can get the full set at any o'reillys for twelve bucks. Then you crawl under the driver's side and push the release tools into the collars on the lines (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them) and pull the lines off, then snap the filter out of it's spring bracket and snap the new one in and shove the lines back on until they click. I always give the lines a quick tug afterwards so I know they aren't going to blow off under pressure, not a hard tug, just a quick one....also, IT"S ABOUT TIME WE GOT A SUPER DUTY FORUM!!!

Millermagic
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Turns out Coil#7 was bad and when the engine got hot, it started working less until it didn't work at all.

But I definitely have to use the special tool to get the old filter off? I still want to change it becuase of what was found on the cap.

Johnny Mullet
08-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, you will need the special tool to change the filter.

semisendiz
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Here , Here, I Have Just Gotten My First F-250; And Yes, Good Thing About The Forum !!!

Add your comment to this topic!