Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

powered driver seat in 95 Jimmy SLE not working

95GMCJimmySLE
07-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Well, a while ago the driver seat stopped working on my girls Jimmy. It was in the position for her when it stopped so it wasn't a big deal. But now it's going to become a problem because she doesn't like to drive when we are towing something so that means I have to drive. Now to give you an idea of how bad this is, she is about 4' 10" (she's asain and her father is just as short) and I'm 6'. If I try to get in the driver seat my knees are touching the dash. I can't drive like that when we go camping so we need to get this fixed before we go in a few weeks.

She called the dealer and a few salvage yards for prices on seat motors and she was told her year/style Jimmy had one seat motor where as others have 3. So I went to verify that and unbolted the seat to find 3 motors under her seat.

Is the driver seat not working a common problem? What are some things I should check and how? I don't want to go replacing the motors if it ends up to be a problem with the switch or wiring.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

95GMCJimmySLE
07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
ok, I saw this thread and tried what the guy suggested...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=591811

First I checked to see if the car side of the seat plug had voltage. It checked 12v. So I thought that maybe it was the seat motors.

Next I tried it and only one seat motor would turn one way. So I checked the voltage at the power adapter and it only checked 5v. So I connected jumper cables to my car battery and then connect two 6" wires to the end of the jumper cables. I then connected those wires to the seat side of the plug and the seat worked!

So now I'm confused. The car side of the plug has 12v of power but the seat won't work. I put 12v of power from my car to the seat side of the plug and the seat works.

So I though maybe the plug didn't have a good connection inside or something. So I connected those 6" wires to each side of the plug but the seat still wouldn't work.

Next I took the plugs apart and connected the ends without the plugs so I knew it had a good connection. I checked the connection and it showed power. I even checked JUST the copper wires on the seat side to make sure the power was going though the connection and getting to the wires and it showed 12v once again. But the seat still wouldn't work.

I don't get why the car side of the plug shows power, when connected the wires running to the seat motors show 12v power as well but nothing work. But if I disconnect the wires and run power from my car to the seat side of the plug the seat works just fine. It's really confusing!!

I mean if the wires running to the seat plug had a break then they wouldn't show power right? I even double checked by checking for continuity between the black wire and body ground and for power between the red wire and the same body ground and it all checks out but nothing works.

If someone has any suggestions please let me know. It's starting to frustrate me.

Add your comment to this topic!