Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

avagas??

ShortyDTP
07-12-2006, 04:23 AM
has anybody try airplane fuel ie. 100LL ??? 100 low lead? and if so what are the results.???

i been using it about twice and I can advance my timing a lot more, and leaning my afr with no problems and i have actually gained power. but i would like to hear it from someone that has run it for a while.

reason why i stared using it is because theres an airport real close from where i live , it is 100 octane , and you can't beat the price. i get it at $4.00 /gal and reg gas it about $3.50 for 91 oct. so you will understand where i am comming from.

p.s I also hear that's dirty fuel. But i don't understand why would they put "dirty fuel" in the air flying over us??

Moppie
07-12-2006, 04:53 AM
There is a limit to how long aviation fuel is allowed to sit, if left to long some of the distylates that give its high octane rating can evaporate, ad it often takes on a small percantage of water.
Not a problem in 90% of the car engines out there, but in a very high performance aircraft engine it's asking for disaster.

Usualy this fuel is returned to the oil company and then resold as race gas.
But, sometimes you can source it direct from an airport.

Just be aware, that in some parts of the world its illegal to use it on the road, usualy because it contains lead, which is also bad for O2 sensors and Catalytic converters (it wrecks them).

ShortyDTP
07-12-2006, 05:28 AM
yeah lead it bad for o2 and catalytic converters. i don't think it is illegan in Phoenix AZ, unless theres a law, but i don't thing so.

fredjacksonsan
07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Aviation fuel has lead, which is illegal for motor vehicles in the US. Plus, it will ruin your catalytic converter.

(Lead is used in avgas as an antiknock component. While airplanes could use automotive gas at ground level, once they get to altitude the antiknock ingredients don't work the same and result in detonation. There are replacements for lead that are being worked on, but none will be here in the near future)

Other than the cats and the legality, you shouldn't have any issues with the fuel, it's basically the same stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!