Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grand Caravan Sport - Just died

Interpol
07-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Not sure if anyone could help on the possible problem.

A couple of days ago, I was on my way, had to stop at a store. Van was running fine. Turned off the Van, ran in, ran out and tried to start the van back up again.

Nothing, didn't turn, didn't make a sound, just nothing. The lights/power was fading, lights were fading, the power windows were slower and slower (was closing them), power locks weren't as fast.

Left the Van overnight at the store, next morning went back, tried to start it up and no signs of life again. Gave it a boost and it worked, Van was running, drove it back home, on the way home all the dials were going crazy, back and forth, all the lights were on (battery, seat belts, doors, etc).

When I got home and turned off the Van, I couldn't start it up again. Same thing, dead, not a sound when turning the key.

Any idea what could it be? I thought maybe the alternator, but wouldn't I be losing power as I was driving?

Any help would be appreciated, wanted to have an idea before bringing it in to be looked at.

Bernard Feltzer
07-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Are you for real?
Your battery has outlived it's useful life.
Replace battery.

Interpol
07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Are you for real?
Your battery has outlived it's useful life.
Replace battery.

Bernard, don't make fun :grinno:

I am for real, I don't understand anything about cars, i'm :screwy:

I will replace the battery and let you know.

Thanks for you help.

89ltd
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
you should have told him to check the voltage at the battery to make sure its at about 13.5 or more to rule out the alternator first. He may have a shitty alt. and a good battery that is not being charged. Who's for real.....

ggratecc
07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Just curious...what year is your Caravan?

Autozone will TEST your battery for free.

89ltd
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM
his profile shows its a 2002, should also use an amp meter to determine that nothing is draining the battery. But all in all , its probably just a battery. I wish we had an autozone in Canada..........

Interpol
07-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I changed the battery and sure enough it worked :grinyes:

Thanks Bernard, ggratecc and 89ltd :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!