Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket Stereo's

Holaday1185
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I went to Crutchfield.com to check out some aftermarket stereo's they had. After doing "what fits my vehicle" it showed me a screen to choose from speakers, head units, and other things. After clicking on the hu button, it said that all the hu's were going to be a difficult fit in my 1997 Buick Park Avenue. Any thoughts on why it's not an "e-z-fit" and instead requires real vehicle modification?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dIJMKH8gg1F/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=300

-Note: all CD players have a yellow sign saying "modified fit"

Thanks

DioGreer
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
not sure about the 97s, but on the 91, the radio compartment is shallow compared to the length of standard aftermarket radios. luckily the manufacturer of the conversion kit knew this and included 3 different mounting rings with different depth options for best fit. Of course after trying the two smaller ones, the largest one giving the deepest area was the one I needed.

I wouldnt worry about radio size. Just dont get one of the double height units and you'll be fine.

edit: hmmm it doesnt give me any problems when I check the 91 size on crutchfields site. There might be more to modify, but I really dont see how or why... Im sure someone here knows the answer

Holaday1185
07-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'm just afraid of purchasing a radio and having to do many modifications to it and my radio opening. Has anyone installed an aftermarket radio on a 1997 Buick Park Avenue. Please speak up, haha!

-Thanks

johndoe_57
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
I have a 1998 but it should be the same I installed a regular size JVC dvd player and you have to make sure the wires and etc from the radio are on the top of the radio when you put it back in and it will not be easy to snap the dash piece back in but I just kept at it and it worked.

Holaday1185
07-19-2006, 11:50 AM
JohnDoe,
What were the dimensions of your current aftermarket radio you put in your 98 PA. Being as how mine is just a 97 i'm pretty sure our sizes are somewhat similiar. Thanks, oh, and did you do anything about your steering wheel controls? I'm thinking of purchasing a remote kit to still be able to use my sterring wheel controls on my aftermarket radio.
Thanks-

Add your comment to this topic!