Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Pan issues

jabhawk
07-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey, I have a 93 CV-PI and the oil pan is in bad shape. Rusting flakes and oil is oozing out.

There is over 100k on the engine and I just had the trans coolant lines replaced. I want to try and keep the car running till I can afford some major overhalls.

Is it adviseable to replace just the pan and seals or is it not worth it. I can get parts from a local junk dealer but would appreciate a link to a reputable parts dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

ModMech
07-09-2006, 08:22 PM
The pan gasket is reuseable, and I have done so over an over w/o problems.

As for a new pan, to replace it the service manual claims you can do this without removing the engine, and I know of only one person to succeede out of many who tried.

Basically you can R&R the engine in 6 hours total, including replacing the pan AND you get to work out in the open on it. The pan only replacement takes at least that long, and you have to do everything BUT disconnect the engine from the trans anyway.

It really sucks that this happens, but as vehicles last longer and longer I think it is going to get worse and not better over time.

cobradude360
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
well now you know two people who have done this w/o removing the engine it was a PITA but i did do it i had to lossen the trans and move it around a bit but the engine was still in the car i only removed the mount bolts and lifted the engine from the crank pully. took roughly 4 hours to complete. but as a temp fix you can use black automotive rtv silicone to patch it up morked for me for about 3 years.

way2old
07-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey ModMech, now you know three. We replace gaskets and pans weekly in our shop. They are a PITA, but after you do 10 or so, they are not that bad.

Add your comment to this topic!