How To Replace Thermostat?

masterjess
07-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I have 1997 Pontiac Sunfire and I'm getting temperature problem. The previous owner told me that she had replaced the water pump but I don't think she had replace the themostat. Does anyone where and how to replace the thermostat on the radiator? Any suggerstion is appreciated.

jess

GTP Dad
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Please post the engine size and year. This helps to know where the thermostat is located.

masterjess
07-08-2006, 06:48 PM
1997 Sunfire, SE. 4 cylinder, 2.2L

blackfire28
12-01-2006, 10:08 PM
The thermostat is below the alternator, on the front passanger side of the engine. It is greyish in color and has a radiator hose coming off of it.

Pull the hose off and drain the coolant. Take the thermostat bolts out and remove the thermostat. The pointed side of the thermostat goes towards the radiator hose. Put it all back together. Then fill the surge tank with coolant. Run the engine briefly, shut it off. Bleed the system (there are two bleeder screws, one in front to the right of the oil filler tube and another one behind the air filter pipe, in front of the egr valve). Make sure all the air is out of the system and top it off. If the coolant light comes on, bang on the lower part of the surge tank, there is a float in the bottom that maybe stuck. This will shut off the light. Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!