Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo'ing or Supercharging a VTi

VTiracer
08-09-2002, 05:20 AM
Hi all..

I am wondering...
If you turbo a Civic VTi (like mine) will the turbo will able to spin all the ways up to 7,500rpm without damage? Would you require a needle-bearing turbo with ceramic components to achieve same?

I am thinking SuperCharging would be a better option for the higher revs...

I am thinking a HKS Generic turbo running on moderate boost level (- dont want meltdown) for my VTi.

Thanks,
J

Goosse
08-09-2002, 10:19 AM
I don't know much about turbo's, but if I can give you a suggestion, check out the FI forum on here and ask your question with the Si engine. It's the same engine as your VTi engine...

zzyzx
08-11-2002, 04:35 PM
I don't know to answer you about the turbo.

But the supercharger is better cuz it works at all range of rpm, it hasn't "kick", and, in some cases, you don't have to change anything in your engine, except the charger.

Vitinho
08-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Well what do you want to do ??

If you want to have loads of power in some special circustances go turbo (you can make + 100 or more HP if you have a boost controller), but be aware that you might fry a few things inside the engine :D and you have to lower the compression ratio as well (basically more money to spend ;)). If you install a SC (Jackson Racing) you only have a gain of 40 HP more but you will have loads of torque to play with (the ammount of torque that you have now at 7200 rpm will be avilable from 2000 rpm :eek: ), so put some money aside for rubber ;). With the SC you don't have to play with the inside of the engine so in the end it will be cheapper.

Any other comments ?? :D

Actuator
08-14-2002, 12:26 PM
I am really lost when it comes to turbos I THINK!!! I dont think..I know!

Why would you need to lower the ( aspirated ) compression ratio of the engine? I would have thought you should do anything but? (this is where I get lost!).

The europe DOHC VTi runs at 10.5:1 comp. ratio (roughly - without going out in the pissing Irish rain to check manual). Isnt it the higher the pressure level what we want to achieve? so if you start off with a 10.5:1 ratio and then turbo kicks in and rises that +10:1 more (20.5:1)..isn't that better than say lowering to 8:1 and added 10:1 (18:1) then?

The Jackson sounds great but $3000 doesnt!
so, literally you are telling me the Jackson is close enough to be plug + play? without changing fuel/sensor mapping, fuel rails/pumps, regulators, etc?

What would happen if you chipped the car AFTER installing the Jackson SC? BOOM :eek: or VROOM? :)

Again thanks a million for filling my brains! :)
J

VTiracer
08-15-2002, 04:16 AM
Yikes,

Actuator = VTiRacer

I just have issues logging in at home as VTiracer... :)(

Goosse
08-15-2002, 05:21 AM
You'll need a lower compression ratio to run turbo. This is one of the reasons why the US guys use GSR (B18C1) engines for turbo and Type-R (B18C5) engines for NA.

Vitinho
08-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi again :D

The Jackson SC is as close as you can get of the plug and play. When you run a turbo you don't have to do anything if you dont go over the 0.8 bar of pressure, but then you will have the same ammount of power that the SC will generate. You you want to have more power then that you will have to go down on the compression side (as you go up in the boost side) because of the ammount of oxygen that comes from the intake. You also have to custom setting the fuel map to get as close as possible to the 14:1 fuel ratio or you wont have a good fuel efficiency.

Another thing is if you decide to chip your car, dyno test before and after (on the same day). A lot of the chip's that friends of mine installed they decreased power :eek:. Honda ECU is generally very good for your engine.

Regards,

Add your comment to this topic!