Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

VG30DETT swap in 350z

cheefrawker
07-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I haven't read seen much on this swap...well actually nothing at all. Im starting to wonder if there is a reason for it. did some searches around here on the forum and google (could be im not looking hard enough) and the only swaps people seem to talk about alot are the Rb26DETT swap. Also alot of talk on swapping the VQ35DE into other cars. I was jes wondering a couple of things.

1.is there a reason why people dont talk about this swap to much?
2. If i were to do the swap how hard would it be and what would be some of the parts needed to make it happen.

The main reason i was tryin to see if the swap was possible is because ive read on alot of forums that getting power out of the VQ35DE was harder than the VG30DETT and that the stock Turbos on the VG30DET can already get u up to 400 HP with increased PSI. Also that the VG30 is more reliable and it has more torque etc.... yeah but this thread is mainly for figuring out the difficulty and cost of the swap.

RAREROD74
07-22-2006, 12:44 PM
very noble idea but the cost and modifications needed will be a headache the vg engine is not all that great, also why ruin a nice car with a dated engine ,although I have seen a rb swap in a g35 which need alot of work to even get the motor in the car plus stand alone engine managment so far the bill on that car is in the 15,000 to 20,000 dollar range . the vq is different from the vg due too the open deck design and all aluminum engine . my advice would be to wait until the aftermarket starts making kits designed for a vq/vg/rb swap or just boost the stock motor

SilentNIght1647
07-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I can guarantee you someone has done what you are trying to do. And I would guesstimate this is going to cost a pretty penny. But let me ask you why are you swapping one six-cylinder for another one? why not move up on the food chain and opt for more cubic inch, there is only so much horse you can squeeze out of a small displacement motor. If I had the money I would put an GM LS1 or 2 in it instead there an all aluminum V8 and can make way more torque and HP than a VG or VQ can ever dream of. Plus how many guys can say they've got a V8 in a 350z?

Broke_as_****
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I can guarantee you someone has done what you are trying to do. And I would guesstimate this is going to cost a pretty penny. But let me ask you why are you swapping one six-cylinder for another one? why not move up on the food chain and opt for more cubic inch, there is only so much horse you can squeeze out of a small displacement motor. If I had the money I would put an GM LS1 or 2 in it instead there an all aluminum V8 and can make way more torque and HP than a VG or VQ can ever dream of. Plus how many guys can say they've got a V8 in a 350z?

It would take a turbo or supercharged V8 to get beyond what a VG is capable of and by then you are in quadruple digit horsepower. However given that there is quite a number of turbo setups for the VG that make 500-600rwhp with very little turbo lag I hardly think that a lack of power is going to be a problem with such a swap.

I'm usually in favor of getting the biggest and most advanced engine you can if you are going to do a custom swap anyway. But given that you can get a VG pretty cheap, there is a ton of aftermarket support for it and you can boost the living hell of it I don't this being a step down from a V8. Especially since as far as swaps go I would imagine one Nissan V6 for another Nissan V6 would be far easier than anything else.

datsunscom
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
This is not as crazy of an idea as it sounds. The swap makes sense depending on your fab skills and goals, but I just went though this entire "VQ/TT vs VG/TT" comparison myself.

Simplified: VQ35DE will get you to about 420RWHP before you have to open it up and replace internals, the 10.3:1 CR isn't conducive to lots of boost so you're limited to about 9PSI.

The SAME turbos (say, JWT 530BB or HKS2530's) on a VG30DETT will let you push 500+RWHP to the wheels (20-ish PSI) before you need to spend the money to reinforce the internals.

However, for a given pair or turbos the VQ35 will spool them faster and it will have more torque off-boost, this means a more streetable car and in almost everything other than a straight-line race the VQ will be the quicker car in spite of the 80HP defeceit.

In addition the VQ35DE is about 70lbs lighter than the VG30DE (N/A vs N/A), so really it's a step backward - you're putting in a heavier, smaller displacement engine. The money saved by not having to open up the VQ will be spent anyway on all the work converting to the heavier VG.

If you have good fab skills and your goal is simply 500RWHP for the cheapest possible price, the VG30DETT can be cheaper - you can sell a VQ35DE for ~$2500, the 6-speed for $750. This leaves you with $3250....you can pick up VG30DETT / transmission for ~$1500 all day long on e-Bay, leaving you with $1750 for used 530BB turbos that will get you to 475+RWHP.

In the end though I see it as only marginally better than sticking an SR20DET into a 350Z.

Then there's the gearing issue, you will need to either adapt the 6-speed to the VG, or change the axle ratio or change to a smaller wheel/tire combination. Either that or live with taller overall gearing which will make the VG feel like there's even less displacement.

FWIW I am voting this *exact* issue with my wallet. I already have a VG30DETT and I am moving to a VQ35DE(TT) even though for less money I could have more peak power. Instead of spending $2500 on turbos to move to 475+ RWHP I am spending more than twice that to have 50RWHP less. Why? Because I'm saving 70lbs, adding punch when off boost and spooling those same turbos faster. It's called "power under the curve" and on a street car it's as important as how big the power number is.

Broke_as_****
07-26-2006, 12:50 PM
You'd really have to show me a side by side dyno chart to back up that an extra .5 liter will make enough of a difference to offset the power loss. I'm not trying to argue that "bigger = better" and that a broader, deeper powerband is more important than a huge peak number but I'm asking "Is it better enough?". And if you are going to be boosting, the closed deck iron block VG is already setup much better than the open deck aluminum VQ.

What I am going to argue is that it is WAY better to have a VG30DETT powered 350Z then it is a SR20DET powered 350Z. The only thing place I've ever seen that done is in an issue of Super Boobs...uh, Street (I saw it in the check out line, sue me) and that engine tweaked, tuned and turbo upgraded was making 400hp. Cost to benefit, power to weight and just about by any other measurement other than weight alone, the VG is a better deal.

Turbos: Since you'll be doing fab work, why drop the extra cash for stock Garrett turbos that have been modified to bolt on? The 530BBs are just Garretts GT2554R turbo that you can get brand new for ~$1400 a pair.

As for the particular situation that you are in, maybe the VQ is going to be a better choice for you for this situation based on what you are looking for. However I think in general people looking to swap would be better off with the VG.

Also, it's important to note that there is no horsepower restriction for just about any engine. Properly tuned the internals of a car are good for just about anything. Case in point: Wagz, internally stock VG30, made 744rwhp, still running today. Detonation kills motors, not power.

datsunscom
07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Keeping in mind my arguement is for the broader power curve...

Small TB22 (automatic) turbos, VG30DETT, 15PSI
http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/dyno/VG30/dett510-runset2.gif
530BB turbos, 8PSI, VQ35DE
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/newsImages/350ZTT_413HP.jpg

The VQ turbo makes more torque at 2200RPM with 8PSI than the quick-spooling, automatic turbos make peak at 15PSI on the VG. That comparo isn't even apples to apples - it should favor the smaller TB22's but the extra 500cc's spool the bigger 530BB's sooner. WAY sooner. Put the 530BB's on the VG and you get more lag than the TB22's (alhough Dupree's Iconel manifolds damn near make up the difference...)

"Off boost"
NA VG30DE:
http://www.datsuns.com/images/510_vg30de_dyno.jpg
VQ35DE:
http://www.dragtimes.com/images_dyno/8838-2004-Nissan-350Z-Dyno.jpg

Again not quite apples to apples because the VG30DETT will be WEAKER than the n/a chart due to it's lower CR, but even with the higher CR the VQ again makes more torque at 2000RPM than thw VG males peak and 2000rpm later.

Sorry, my referece to the SR20DET was in no way an endorsement of that thing in a 350Z, at best it was a backhanded compliment to the VG. 2.0L doesn't belong in a 3000lb car, I don't care if it's turboed to the nuts 10,000HP. Yes the SR is a wonderful piece...but not in a Z-car.

I agree for maximum bragging rights the closed deck VG is a better option. However in most cases I will take the 40% broader torque curve over a 20% higher peak HP number.

Keep in mind that while 500cc doesn't sound like much of an increase, as the dyno charts show it is a useful and noticeable 20% increase in torque - not dissimilar than going from 350CID to 420CID.... (err, 5.7L to 6.8L). It is a full 16% increase in displacement after all.

I'm not sure what people in general are looking for. My impression is "gimme a huge HP number", in which case the VG will get you farther, but if your goal is something other than absolute peak numbers the VQ is not an undesirable solution. For 400RWHP the VQ wil be cheaper, for 500WHP the VG will be cheaper, for 600RWHP+ it's almost "If you have to ask you can't afford it"

Broke_as_****
07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
While it has been noted that is hardly an apple to apple comparison, point conceeded that the 530-VQ combination has an ample start in low end torque. Boost + 10.something compression = sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Eclipsewhipping
12-17-2006, 01:58 AM

this is the most idiotic thing i have ever read..the vg30dett can easily make 700+hp..z1 has a vg built for over 1000rwhp

k3smostwanted
12-17-2006, 04:43 AM
this is the most idiotic thing i have ever read..the vg30dett can easily make 700+hp..z1 has a vg built for over 1000rwhp

yeah the Z1 motor you are talking about lifted the heads off the block when it made that run also.

Add your comment to this topic!