Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

something weird about my vee tak!

Pac-Man_G
07-07-2006, 01:46 PM
ok so0o i got a 94 honda hatchback cx and i'm guessing the guy before me swapped it out with a d16z6 v-tec everything at first glance looks ok like d16z6 on the motor block even the p20 v-tec ecu but i just got a rpm tac and if won't go passed 5500rpm now isn't the v-tec suppose to kick in at around 5500rpm? my friend as the 95 ex couple and its stock and revs too 8000rpm... i also tried to hook up a v-tec light to show when it kicks on but it didn't...and i tested the light and it work..so0o its leading me to believe that the v-tec isn't hooked up any ideas on how to test the v-tec to see if its working? or if it will ever work? and if it does work but just not turning on...how do i get it to turn on? thanks for any help you can give me

AudioGuy93DelSol
07-07-2006, 04:18 PM
1. It's vtec.
2. You should have a P28 ecu, there is no p20.

So, do you mean it's hitting the rev limiter at 5500? You sure the tach is working properly? Where did you tap into for the vtec light? Reguardless of vtec working or not the motor will still rev to redline. More info please. Maybe you have the tach set to 8 cyl in which case you've been revving to 11,000 hahaha.

Pac-Man_G
07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
1. It's vtec.
2. You should have a P28 ecu, there is no p20.

So, do you mean it's hitting the rev limiter at 5500? You sure the tach is working properly? Where did you tap into for the vtec light? Reguardless of vtec working or not the motor will still rev to redline. More info please. Maybe you have the tach set to 8 cyl in which case you've been revving to 11,000 hahaha.

ok, i tach is from a honda si so i think the tach is working fine and i'm not reving to 11,000 cuz it would sould amazing!!! the ECU is a P28 have anymore questions for me? so0o we can take care of this problem

AudioGuy93DelSol
07-07-2006, 07:27 PM
You skipped my two real questions and missed my sarcasm. Anyway, is it hitting the rev limiter i.e. does it "cough" or bounce at 5500 or just not rev past it? It could be a bad ECU. If you have any friends with P28's see if you can swap them to rule it out.

Pac-Man_G
07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
You skipped my two real questions and missed my sarcasm. Anyway, is it hitting the rev limiter i.e. does it "cough" or bounce at 5500 or just not rev past it? It could be a bad ECU. If you have any friends with P28's see if you can swap them to rule it out.

it bounces at 5500 rpms. i heard that if its a different distributer cap on the motor than the original D16z6, i heard it would do something like that. its either that, or my timing is too far advanced... any ideas?

Add your comment to this topic!