Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC halfway working

JonathanH
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
My AC only wants to work on the third setting and up. When I turn the nob (that controls the speed at which air comes out of the vents) to the first or second settings no air comes out with the AC on or off, but when I turn it on the third setting or up it works fine (with the AC on or off). When it is on the first or second setting and I hit the button for inside vents only or turn the AC on you can hear/feel the compressor kick in just no air comes out of the vents. I checked some of the smaller fuses hoping it was a simple electrical problem.
Please help.
-jonathan

BNaylor
07-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Welcome to AF.

You have a bad blower motor resistor. It is located under the passenger side of the dashboard next to the blower motor.

JonathanH
07-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the quick response!
Is that an expensive fix? or simple to replace?

Thanks again for the promptness!
-jonathan

BNaylor
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the quick response!
Is that an expensive fix? or simple to replace?

Thanks again for the promptness!
-jonathan

No problem and you are welcome. Changing the BMR out DIY is not that difficult. Just not much space in the cabin and under the dash to work. The BMR will cost aynwheres from $25.00 - $75.00 depending whether you get an aftermarket or the GM/AC Delco one. See procedure below. Good luck!

First remove the plastic panel right below the glove box.

The resistor is located next to the firewall on the passenger side. It is in part of the blower motor plastic housing assembly, on the downside part of the assembly that is toward the passenger's feet.

To get to it, you will need a 7/32" socket and a universal socket adapter. It helps if you have skinny arms, but you will need to open the passenger door, and lay with your upper torso on the passenger floor.

Look up toward the fire wall and you should see wires feeding the resistor via a connector. You will see two bolts holding the resistor in the housing.

Add your comment to this topic!