Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squeal from Left Front wheel when turning right

atchisbr
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey all...

My wife's 2000 Alero coupe has developed a very annoying squeal that sounds to be coming from the Front Left Wheel.

I just took it for a spin and it seems to be only squealing when turning RIGHT...even slightly right. It doesn't seem to squeal when braking at all.

Most posts I have seen are diagnosed as brake related, but we just did a DIY brake job (replaced the pads, turned the rotors, lubed everything) within the past 6 months so I doubt this is the culprit.

Any ideas? Could it be something more serious than pads/rotors?

Just don't want to take it to the shop and get hosed !

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

GTP Dad
07-07-2006, 06:31 AM
This sounds like a front wheel bearing going bad. The front wheel bearing and hub are one assembly so the entire assembly will need to be replaced. They are not cheap to purchase! One word of caution, purchase one made in the US. You can find them at rock-auto.com or gmpartsdirect.com for a reasonable price. Dealers will soak you big time for one.

atchisbr
07-07-2006, 08:03 AM
when you say not cheap..how much are we talking about?

atchisbr
07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Found the part online for roughly $100 for the bearing/hub for the front. Is this an easy fix for a do it yourselfer, or should I buy the part and have a mechanic do the work?

GTP Dad
07-07-2006, 05:39 PM
This can be done by the DIY'er if you have the tools. You will need a torque wrench capable of 150 pounds. A wheel nut socket and jack stands along with other hand tools. You should be able to rent all the tools you need from autozone except the socket which costs about $18. I would recommend a mechanic as sometimes it is worth the cost just to avoid the hassle.

JTrujillo86
07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
You'll need a hub puller as well. If I were you would just get the part and let and indie shop or dealer do the work. If you're not careful, you can bend suspension pieces on the side of the car you're working on.

- Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!