Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SUV decision

alacour
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I am trying to convince myself to buy a 2006 Kia Sorento EX, love the car, the looks, the enginer, has everything I'm looking for and the price is acceptable. Most consumer reviews I've come across have little to nothing good to say about service, realiability, warranty, etc. My first choice was a 2006 Hyundai Tuscon then discovered it didn't have all the options I wanted nor the color choice, 2nd choice was a 2006 Toyota Rav4, Toyota is reliable, good residual value, but not exactly sold on the model itself, in addition, none available for anywhere from 4-6 weeks with the color and options I want.

I'm concerned that we only hear the bad on most vehicles, but definitely take note of the bad comments.

Any one with any experience good or bad with the Kia, please share.

porscheguy9999
07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I agree with the reliability issue with Kia. Have you considered the Honda CR-V or Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute (they're basically the same car with different badges)?

alacour
07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes, I've considered the Honda CRV, and the Honda Pilot, just something abou the Kia Sorento I really like, my fiance has the Honda CRV and although it has good gas mileage and has been reliable so far (5 months old), it just doesn't do it for me... so continuing to search. The Ford and the Mazda are not in the running.

twospirits
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Strange, but I read a few that have praised it. 2004 (http://trucks.about.com/od/2004suvtestdrives/fr/04_kia_sorento.htm), and 2006 (http://www.edmunds.com/new/research/kia/sorento.html).
Hyundai and Kia have made some pretty good vehicles of late and as long as one does the scheduled maintainence, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially with the that long warranty they have. Sorento is more truck based (due to its construction) than the Hyundai Tuscon or Santa Fe (new or older models), so the ride is a bit more stiffer. I myself did not get the Sorento, not because of the reviews or the Hyundai/Kia bashers at the time, but like you because there wasn't the right color. I then went with Hyundai and I have not regretted it since.

As for relability, both Hyundai and Kia have greatly improved their rankings as the latest JD Power reports indicate.

As for service, well thats where you will find all sorts of answers. Some dealerships are downright nasty and will try to take you for all you got, while other will treat you as gold. I'm lucky that my dealership is one of the better ones.

I would suggest to go to a few dealerships and hang out in the service area and get a feel from the customers as well as reading with other Kia owners online to get a over all sense of what to expect. Either way, I see no reason not to get one. Its a good vehicle.

Good luck on your decision.

TS out

alacour
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Thank you TS for your input, I'll continue with my due diligence.

kman10587
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Hyundai and Kia have really stepped up their reliability as of late. If it's an '06 model, I wouldn't worry about it.

G-man422
07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
^ very true.

DinanM3_S2
07-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Subaru Forester?

kman10587
07-07-2006, 12:42 AM
That'd be my personal pick, a 2.5L turbo Subaru Forester. But if the topic creator likes the Kia Sorento better, then that's a fine choice as well.

mason_RsX
07-10-2006, 10:57 AM
What about a Chevy Equinox?? Its very comparable to a Sorento or a Tuscan, seats 7 (possibly) and has satisfactory build quality, nothing dramatic

but you'll get it cheap, its got a nice little V6, and it looks decent IMO

1969CamaroSS350
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The Equinox only seats 5 but would be my choice. It won a M/T comparision test between Escape, Sante Fe, and Vue. In my opinion it is the best looking inside and out and it comes standard with a 3.4-liter V-6 and a 5-speed automatic.

VAD0R
07-19-2006, 12:42 AM
That'd be my personal pick, a 2.5L turbo Subaru Forester. But if the topic creator likes the Kia Sorento better, then that's a fine choice as well.

If you also have some more $$$ to spend as well as the willingness to pay for premium gas there is the CX-7 with the AWD sport model can be had as low as $23k which judging by the apraise from reviewers overly makes up for it in its sports sedan like handling and interior finish. Or if you want an SUV that has just as good fuel economy as well as about on par in performance as the RAV4 but much cheaper you can look at the Mitsubishi Outlander, if potential long term reliable is not a concern.

However perhaps with evident rising gas prices you may want to consider vehicles that maybe more economically oriented such as the Mazda5, Honda Fit, Suzuki S/4 or Dodge Caliber R/T.

Tony Stewart Fan
07-21-2006, 08:36 AM
However perhaps with evident rising gas prices you may want to consider vehicles that maybe more economically oriented such as the Mazda5, Honda Fit, Suzuki S/4 or Dodge Caliber R/T.

I wish I had the option right now of trading in my SUV for a car with better gas mileage. I've looked at the Caliber and like it a lot, I just haven't had the opportunity to make a switch at all.

Add your comment to this topic!