Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Accord won"t start sometimes

stlake1
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Car every 6 or 7 th cycle won't start. Spark & Fuel pump have been checked. This occurs when the initial system check will not allow the check engine light to go out. Would the computer be sometimes shorting?..Any help is appreciated

maroongrad
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Have them check the main power relay. It didn't mess with the check engine light on my car, but both the 91 and 90 Accord had hit-and-miss starting problems, and both of them had the main power relay going bad as the cause. No idea if it would relate to the engine light, it's been a few years and I honestly don't remember if that light went on!

bacchus_00
10-23-2006, 04:48 PM
hi , i have a 92 accord with the same problem , when the check engine light doesn't go out the car doesn't start , i dont find the main relay on it , i see the wiring with a brown plug , y follow that cable and goes into the wiring harness , NEVER FOUND MAIN RELAY , i had a 93 civic and that car had that relay.
somebody know where is located that relay on 92 accord?
Thanx

mpumas
10-23-2006, 11:39 PM
It is located on the drivers side wall under the dash. There is a module that blocks seeing it. Remove that module ( about 4in X 4in) and you wiill see it. But before you work on the main relay, see if there are any stored codes on the ECU.

n8zdogg
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
3rd gen accord - main power relay.

maroongrad
10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
it's been a few years but I think the main power relay was located under the dash near the driver's left leg. *sighs* It's been about 8 years since I replaced that, but I remember replacing SOMETHING there and I think it was the relay.

beef_bourito
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM
this has happened to me a few times in my '92. all i did was wait a few seconds (as in less than ten usually, sometimes more) then the check engine light will either flicker (go of then on once) or go out, then it would let me start it.

Add your comment to this topic!