Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drifting a CL Type-S

Acuracing
07-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Okay...I don't mean to offend anyone who's tired of reading about one more person who's looking to drift a FWD car, but I have to do it. All of the FWD drifting posts I've read have suggested ripping the e-brake through a turn. The only problem is that my car's e-brake is foot operated. I step on it to engage it and step on it again to release it. The problem with this is that I can't hold down the locking mechanisim. What do I do? Is the left foot braking technique the only possibility for me? Thanks in advance.

-The Stig-
07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you'll need to induce oversteer with a huge amount of braking to throw the weight bias forwards so the rear will swing...

Also, you'll need to use the feint technique, you know, turn left quickly then turn right (or vice versa) to whip the tail out... then counter steer.

If you can get those two techniques to work together for you, you should be able to do minor drifts around a corner, you'd need a heck of a lot of momentum to try and carry it far or to link up multiple corners.

Good luck, Stay safe.

00accord44
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
But is that really drifting or just ass dragging? The whole point of a true drift is to both direct and push yourself through a turn. This isn't possible to do with FWD simply because instead of directing with the rear, its the rear that is out of control and the front trying to counteract its momentum. Thats just my opinion. By no means am I a world class drifter... I drive an accord for gods sake :shakehead But it seems "drifting" with FWD is a result of completely opposite physics than with RWD:2cents:

-The Stig-
07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Ugh, you can drift front wheel drive cars.

It's just not as dynamic as RWD.

You can drift anything with wheels, you can do it with weight transfer and proper counter steering. Like I've stated you can perform minor drifts with all four wheels sliding in proper drifting fashion.

You'll just have a heck of a time linking multiple turns together due to the nature of the drive train. No power to the rear wheels to keep the rear end out of place.

Proof that you can... it's not as impressive but the cars are in a four wheel slide... aka drifting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6thh_Iw92w&search=fwd%20drift

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sedrzz-GGrQ&search=fwd%20drift

00accord44
07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
That's cool and all. And I see where you're coming from but again

No power to the rear wheels to keep the rear end out of place.

Which is pretty much my entire point. And because of this, I see it more as ass dragging than drifting. The physics are just too different for me to see them as the same. Either way, my car aint doin it so it matters not to me what the world calls it

EVOclipse
07-26-2006, 05:51 PM
all of you RWD purists, suck, you sound like EVERYONE else. I dont EVER recall anyone defining drifting as doing a burnout through a turn. I believe the only point is the fact the car gets sideways through the turn. which is VERY F'n possible. shutup and go beat off to drag racing videos if u need more tension to release, drifting has been around way longer than just about ANYONE in the forum,so stop acting like your the freakin authority on it.

EVOclipse
07-26-2006, 05:59 PM
too much ranting, i forgot my original point, you can setup your E-brake release to be automatic,in other words you press that pedal down and it pops right back up without having to hit your release switch. its pretty easy enough, and if you dont have an idea how to do it to your car, ask a local mechanic what they think. Also i would stick to the Ebrake at first because trying to learn to feint right away isnt always smart, you need alot of speed and technic to pull of a FWD without the ebrake and its definently not the way to learn, trust me i know. I would stick with that and if all else fails start with your braking drifts(remember to brake a bit later then usual and turn the wheel a bit quicker then normal, the car should do the rest if you transferd the weight right) also remember to look where you want your car to go at all times....even if it means looking out your passenger windows at times. this will help keep you safe and insure your steering your car correctly.

midgetracing28
01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Drifting is possible in front wheel drive just not as fun to me personally unless your really flying the big problem is the weight transfer once u get the car sideways the inside front tire just wants to spin and there fore you lose all of your foreward momentum but im sure if u got that to work and the " feint" method (sorry ive never heard it called that) you should be fine. Just in case you might want to upgrade your seat and seat belts a helmet wouldnt be a bad desicion either lol.

Add your comment to this topic!