Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What, no posts about the Sprinter?

CarInfoGuy
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
It's only about the best work van ever made. And with Mercedes technology, too.

I just felt someone had to comment on it.

bluevp00
07-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree too. When I was in Germany a few years back, it seems the Mercedes version of that van is used for everything. Delivery trucks, ambulances, police wagons, etc. I sat in one at the auto show, and I must say that not only are they very roomy in the cargo area, they also have a really good view from the drivers seat.

crazys182003
07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
I tried to convince my work to stop buying ford vans but they won't b/c they egt a better deal with fords. I would much rather use a sprinter due to the increase in cargo size.

desertpat
08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I have heard alot of good things about sprinter vans. That is why I spent $40,000. for mine and sold my Ford van. Has anyone out there had transmission problems like I have? Been back to dealer 3 times in less than 10,000 miles for transmission problems. Also, Turbo resinator ( I think it's called) went on me. It could't get out of it's own way. I have had other problems too. The doors are hard to close. Margins are off. You really have to close them hard or they'll bounce off the latching mechanism. I wish I was reporting good things but I am being honest. Bought my sprinter brand new from Frahm Dodge in Norco, California. Tired of going back to dealer for warranty work. Plus the closest sprinter dealership is 45 minutes to an hour from my home. I thought it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't need much service but I spend alot of time with my van laid up. This costs me alot of money being it is my work vehicle and no service to speak of on Saturdays.And why Disposable Rotors? Added cost tp every brake job? I spent so much money so I am committed to this van, I was just curious if anyone else was experiencing similar things. Thank's.

bluevp00
08-07-2006, 11:24 PM
^ You could very well have bought a lemon. But check around first if people are having similar problems, I don't really know of the reliability record for these cars, but this is a Mercedes diesel truck- it should last for millions of miles. Maybe Dodge cut some corners in bringing it to the states??

2.2 Straight six
10-27-2006, 01:12 PM
And with Mercedes technology, too.

wrong. it's 100% mercedes. in europe it's the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. it's sold as a Dodge in the US because Mercedes-Benz is a pemium brand, and making work vans in a country where you're a premium brand isn't good for company image. in europe we've been getting Merc vans for decades. Mercedes only recent began its venture into the US market, and so not to damage company image their vans are sold as Dodges.

coolkat25
10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I have just gotten a sprinter from the company that I work for (have had it for 1 week). The rear door had a latch problem, right from factory.(day 1). returned the vehicle to dealership to fix door problem(day 2). problem with door fixed. Day 3.. drove out of town for work..engine light came on. Took it to a local dealer. Lost the van for a day,needed to order parts. Day 4.. van ready from dealership..went to pickup, drove 8 Feet............Light back ON. Needed to return home. Day 5 , brought van back to local dealership, need to order parts. Lost truck for another day!! Van is to be ready on DAY 6.

Not exactly a great start, hopefully these are a couple resolved glitches with the van.

Pros:fuel economy-amazing
Cargo space-lots
turning radius- ON A FRIGGIN DIME!!! AMAZING!
Seats-Lots of positions

Cons:reliability-Not sure???Any one Able to comment!
Steering wheel-WHY NO TILT STEERING? Somewhat uncomfortable wheel height. To compensate the seat is able to move in multi-positions. I don't believe it's offered as an option..Correct me if I'm wrong,Thanks.
Drivers/passenger Door locks- antilock out, need key to lock doors(annoying) Highly suggest keyless entry
AUTHORIZED SPRINTER DEALER- For servicing this vehicle, there is only one dealer in my area. 50 mins from my house, mean while there are 3 or 4 other dodge dealers much closer to me.

NESTORIO
02-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Is the sprinter setting for europe different than the one use in the US. Talking about fuel!!! What if someone wants to bring the van to france or italy.:

vamc
02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I work for the fed. govt. We got a deal on one, and we use it to transport PT. from cleveland to Breaksville.

vamc
02-02-2007, 08:06 PM
wrong. it's 100% mercedes. in europe it's the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. it's sold as a Dodge in the US because Mercedes-Benz is a pemium brand, and making work vans in a country where you're a premium brand isn't good for company image. in europe we've been getting Merc vans for decades. Mercedes only recent began its venture into the US market, and so not to damage company image their vans are sold as Dodges.

I like to add to this. Over there they have the Chevy Alero, we have the olds alero. I had a chevy alero from over there. I had it shiped there.

hkmorgan87
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I drove around in a sprinter for a year, then i switched jobs and now work at a sprinter dealer in illinois.

Turbo resonators are a common problem. door misalignment is also a common problem unless your the incredible hulk.

CoolCat, Almost all sprinters come with keyless entry. Mercedes makes two keys for the sprinter. One is a keyless entry fob, with a key, and the other is just a key.

Tilt steering is not available on sprinters, not sure why.

Sprinter dealers are few and far between, and dodge wanted it this way. There are 4 or 5 sprinter dealers in all of illinois.

Reliabilty on Sprinters can be spotty vehicle to vehicle. But just remember, you bought a dodge. The dodge diesels, almost always outlive the vehicle their in.

comp
04-18-2008, 09:09 PM
anybody got a diesel ???

upior
10-25-2008, 02:34 PM
anybody got a diesel ???
I run mine on 100% biodiesel. So far so good. 75k miles.
The only problem, glow plugs - had to replace 'em
and intercooler hose - cracked. I thought it was turbo,
(showed a turbo underboost preasure code)
even bought a used one, but it was just a hose.
Had a good deal on used turbo, so I'm keeping it as a spare just in case.

Add your comment to this topic!