Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator Problems

taylerb63
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
What Is A Good Estimate On The Cost Of Getting A New Alternator For A 1990 Camry.

Daniel M. Dreifus
07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Try replacing the brushes first.
Brush set assembly should be something like part number 27370-35060 (for a '94). Should be less than $20 at the dealer. As part of a larger online part order, I paid around $11 couple years ago.
The Denso alternators are extremely well made versus an inexpensive rebuilt unit which is likely to be of very questionable quality.
By the way, for the four cylinder, you don't even have to remove the alternator to replace the brushes, just remove the back cover.

Brian R.
07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Instructions here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166525

(From the FAQ thread)

taylerb63
07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
is it a pretty simple task to replace the brushes

Brian R.
07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Did you read the link I posted? It looks simple to me, but you're the one who has to make the decision.

JOET/CAMRY
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
is it a pretty simple task to replace the brushes

\
the altenator might not have worn brushes.:nono: it could have a faulty voltage regulator. I bought new brushes at the local toyota dealership for the altenator for my girlfriends former 1988 tercel (RIP) she rolled the car on the highway!:crying: The altenator wasn't putting out enough voltage. I installed the brushes to find out it didn't make any difference.:banghead: :2cents:

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

Brian R.
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
That's right - Before the alternator is removed from the vehicle, you should check the voltage regulator. You would replace the brushes only if the length of the brushes is shorter than the specification for minimum length.

Read the charging system troubleshooting procedure in the following link:

http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ch.pdf

Even though it does not apply directly to your car, it is very much what you need to do and very close to the voltages and currents you should see.

Add your comment to this topic!