Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rancho or Sensa-Trac?

2000Frontera
07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm running Old Man Emu shocks on an ARB lift kit on my 99 Rodeo 4WD. For me they are just to ridgid.

I'd like to change to either Rancho 5000 or Monroe Sensa-Trac. I read more good reports here on the Sensa-Trac and am tempted this way. What is the best choice for comfort with of road capability?

And do either have the added length to cope with the 2.5" lift?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Ramblin Fever
07-04-2006, 01:14 AM
If the Old Man Emu shocks are too rigid for you, you definitely do NOT want Rancho 5k. I have these on my '85 Toyota 4x4 p/up (live front/rear axle = rides like a tank).

Granted these shocks are giving this truck the nicest ride it has ever had; but they ARE a rigid shock.

I have the Gabriel sport shocks on my Rodeo - no lift, and no ARB; but I do have oversized tires and brushguard (cheap fill in for an ARB, I know) - and I do run a LOT of rough forest service roads along with mild 4x4 trails, and, in it's recent past life, it has pulled a 4k# boat.

These shocks are GREAT! I can't say enough good things about them; they are sturdy enough for off-road, and provide excellent road manners/control along with a very nice, but not squishy ride. You still know that you are riding in a truck, BUT they do not "hammer" down on every riblet, bump, pothole, tiny rock, etc.

I think in your situation, the Monroe Sensa-trac's may give you that real nice on-road ride, manners, but they are not the happy medium when it comes to off-road, especially on a lifted truck where you need a bit more control. I think they'll serve you good initially, but may wear out too soon.

In the past, I have had Tokico trekmaster's and KYB Gas-adjust, and I do NOT recommend either of these as well - very harsh.

My new ride came with Bilsteins, granted it's a whole different truck, and they are somewhat firmer then the standard Xterra's shocks; and I've never tried the Bilsteins on the Rodeo, but I've heard many owners of Rodeo's having enjoyed them.

They're probably somewhere along the lines of the Rancho's.

You'd probably be good with the slightly sturdier Monroe shock, i.e. Reflex I think it's called.

Add your comment to this topic!