Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Integra making noises at high RPMs

pacman99
07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey,
I'm driving a 5spd 2000 Integra GS with around 110k (km). I bought this car about a year ago and I was having this type of problem then too but I was assured by my mechanic that it wasn't that important and didn't need to be fixed just yet. He did say it would get worst later, which is what's happening now.
After a cold start (even if the car has been sitting outside for maybe 2-3 hours in 25C+ weather), my car will make rattling noises [doesn't matter if the clutch is pressed or not]. The sound appears to come directly from the hood. Before, after driving for about 15mins or so, the noise would go away. Now, the noise goes away after 15mins but if I shift at around 4000rpms or so, I start hearing the same noise. It's fine at >5000 rpms or <3500rpms. This noise also goes away after about 30mins of driving.
I just wanted to know if this is a huge problem in the making? I still have a warranty on this car (for another 2 years) so I wanted to make sure if something bad is in the works, I could perhaps get it covered under warranty?
I just got an oil change on the car too and usually get one after approx 3000-4000km or 3-4months, whichever comes first. I don't drive this car much, perhaps 5-10km daily on the weekdays.
If there's something I could check and report back, please let me know.

Thanks~

steffenst
07-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda's or Acura Don't perform that well in the winter. I have a 1990 integra and only have 105,000 miles. Try changing your fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, PCV valve, and flushing your radiator. Yuor Belts could be going bad as well. If you drive your car every winter you are destine for major engine issues.

AudioGuy93DelSol
07-06-2006, 11:40 PM
If it's rattling when it's not warmed up it could be exhaust related. The heat-shield over my cat came loose and would rattle untill the exhaust warmed up and expanded, then it would stop...untill I ripped it off. Check to see if anything's loose.

GEESERTEG
07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Check your heat sheilds around your header and cat. Many Hondas have an issue with the thin heat shields cracking at the bolts.

pacman99
07-14-2006, 04:04 PM
thx, it was the heat shield on the cat. It was loose and had someone weld it so it'd be firm and now the sound is gone.
BUT another problem came up after that. Now when I drive, the car is sluggish. It accelerates slower than before and at around 3000rpms, my car jumps a little (sort of like what happens when you're in a certain gear and you drop below 2000rpms) and starts picking up a bit faster. This never happened before. I shift at aroudn 3500-4000rpms normally.
Could it be a problem w/ the exhaust not letting out enough air or something?

Also, while I'm asking this question might as well ask this: I just had my A/C recharged and finally I get cold air hehe. Anyways now when the AC is on at level 2, the car tends to idle at around 500rpms and sometimes shakes. Is this normal?

Thanks again!

carlos integra
08-06-2006, 12:35 PM
first open the hood and with your hand take the body throttle and acelerated the motor to listen the noise if the noise came upper dobble cam shafts is the valves nocking the pistons have too changes or take the car to acura shop to verify the problem correctly. good luck

pacman99
08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
yea it was the heat shield on the cat doing that again. I just got rid of this time. The noise is still there so I guess I should check the header.

Thanks~

knorwj
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
first open the hood and with your hand take the body throttle and acelerated the motor to listen the noise if the noise came upper dobble cam shafts is the valves nocking the pistons have too changes or take the car to acura shop to verify the problem correctly. good luck

Dude I'm not trying to be an ass but that post is almost incoherent. Please please proof read your posts. We even have a spell check option. After you type everything just right click scroll down to check spelling and it will highlight and underline any incorrectly spelled words.

Add your comment to this topic!