Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

S10 Blazer 2x4 to 4x4 chassis swap

barfnagel
07-03-2006, 04:00 PM
I have an 87 S10 Blazer 4x4, 2.8, no engine or title, and an 89 S15 Jimmy 2x4 4.3. I'd like to combine the two by swapping the 4x4 chassis to the 2x4 body and keep the '89 4.3 engine and tranny. What is required to make this swap; e.g., what do I need to mate the newer tranny to the transfer case; what other considerations are there? Selling them both and buying a 4.3 4x4 is not the correct answer for this post - I want to do this with what I have and a minimum of new/used parts.

thanks,
barfnagel

OverBoardProject
07-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Welcome to AF barfnagel :cheers:

That's a very good question.

If the transmission is the same model you'll need to use the tailshaft off the 4x4 on the 2wd transmission.
I really don't know if you can change these on your own, so you might want to ask the transmission boys. A google search might get you transmission advice.

If the 89 body is clean then you'll want to install it on the 4x4 frame so most of the wiring is right. I don't know if there is a difference in the wires but I wouldn't be suprised.

If the 4x4 has a 4wd shifter you'll want to cut the hole in the floor for it, and you'll have to run the T-case wires ( just 2 that I'm aware of) vacuum hoses to the T-case, ect.

If everything goes smoothly and you can work hard enough at it you could well have the job done in a week.

Good luck, have fun, take pictures and please do a feature on it.

Add your comment to this topic!