Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

69 Javelin front end rebuild

biv343
07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Figure I'll throw this out to the masses and see what I may be setting myself up for.

I'm contemplating rebuilding the front end on my 69 Javelin SST. I replaced the trunnion bushings back when I got the car about 8 years ago, and it's probably only been driven about 4000 miles since then. I get squeaking noises from the front end, and almost all the rubber components (control arm bushings and what not) look to be original, or at least in dire need of replacement. The car handles fine, it's just kind of embarassing to hear that sad whimper when pulling into a parking lot.

Anyone ever done this before? What will my frustration/tool breakage/blood loss factor be? I've done front end work before, so that's not a problem, it's just a question of how difficult it will be to pull stuff apart that's been together for 37 years.

wrightz28
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, all I can say is soak down any bolts the need turning with penetrating oil (PB blast or the like). Shouldn't be too bad. Have you tried any lubricants on the suspected bushings?

If it makes any difference, my 68 gets a little squeky at times from sit'n around, but I tracked it to my shocks.

biv343
07-06-2006, 07:52 AM
I've tried spraying silicone lube on the bushings, and it didn't make much difference. Shocks were replaced back when I got the car, and don't have too many miles on them, but I suppose anythings possible.

It's not a huge problem, just an annoyance, kinda like that header leak that I can't really make go away for more than a month.

If I decide to proceed, it won't be until "storage season" anyways. Figure I'll have 6 months of snow and cold to tear into it if I decide to.

Thanks for the info.

wrightz28
07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
It's not a huge problem, just an annoyance, .

I hear ya, and that annoying squeak too. :lol:

nokaoui13
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
83 AMC spirit
I have a chance on purchasing a 83 amc spirit straight 6. Here's the history and quick help.
the car been in storage in the garage for 5 years. It has 59,000 original miles.
The car won't start. we got a new fuel pump and battery. It cranks but will not kick over.
There is spark. I also replaced the in-line filter, it appears gas is going to the carbutor, which is dirty.
There was gas left in the car and we put new gas acouple of gallons. Presently the battery is being charge. Any suggestions/Help

wrightz28
07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
answered in your thread,

put a few drips of gas down the carb.

Add your comment to this topic!