Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drifting in auto??

whtaznboi829
07-02-2006, 01:14 AM
Is it possible to drift in an automatic Benz 300E?? If so, how should I go about doing it??

Thanks in advance!

-The Stig-
07-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah, you can drift it... just go about it like you would any other car.

nugundam93
07-02-2006, 04:42 PM
dat's true. :D

feint drift!

drdisque
07-02-2006, 05:29 PM
soft suspension + open diff will result in some very sloppy and dangerous drift attempts.

CassiesMan
07-02-2006, 05:34 PM
^Because throwing your car out of control and hoping that you have the ability to get it back under control and into the next turn is a normal, safe thing.

Elk
07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
soft suspension + open diff will result in some very sloppy and dangerous drift attempts.
I would think that the open diff is going to be the biggest problem. And I don’t think you can get an LSD for a Mercedes Benz.

^Because throwing your car out of control and hoping that you have the ability to get it back under control and into the next turn is a normal, safe thing.
You don’t know how to drift do you?

CassiesMan
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
You don’t know how to drift do you?

I know how to kick my rear end out. I know how to get my car back into the way I want it to go once the rear end gets kicked out. Just becuase you know how to do it doesn't make it safe.

If you are asking if I know how to do some sorta fancy ass tamagochi ass spin x5 mass drift plus 2 touge beast war shoot out, then no.

Elk
07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I know how to kick my rear end out. I know how to get my car back into the way I want it to go once the rear end gets kicked out. Just becuase you know how to do it doesn't make it safe.

If you are asking if I know how to do some sorta fancy ass tamagochi ass spin x5 mass drift plus 2 touge beast war shoot out, then no.
I’m not asking if your the next drift king. I just figure you didn’t know how since you called drifting “throwing your car out of control”. And the whole idea with drifting is to be in control.

Which is why stuff like what type of diff a car has and how the suspension is setup matters.

Clutch_Kick
08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
by him saying "gowing out of control" i know it's not right but i think he's reffering to the tires being out of control, cuz other than that Elk has it on the money, drifting is about controlling the car.

SHIFT_KA24DE
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
you can get anything going sideways... if you download doritens online, i think there's an espisode of kazama drifting an auto benz with a 2jz or something. 600 to the wheels... VERY interesting and crazy nonetheless.

keep the benz dent free and go VIPstyle or something. buy a beater for drifting!

89nissan240sx
04-23-2007, 04:26 AM
yeah you can drift it, id buy a beater if youre just learning. a benz is for cruising, not drifting

midgetracing28
04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
pish posh drift the benz lol i saw a guy on nopi tv that does exhibtions in his bmw but the auto part is going to hurt u big time unless u add a manual valvebody, which im not even sure u can get for a benz, or a shift kit and more power always helps along with the essential lsd

6Cobalt
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I'd say that if you got the Benz cheap, feel free to drift the hell out of it. Parts could get costly though, as already stated.
There is no difference when it comes to drifting and transmissions. The big issue is FWD or RWD (RWD being the *better* of the two). Since that's not your question, it doesn't matter.
The only thing you will lose is shifting to initiate a drift, the Benz won't let your RPMs spin up unless you mess around with it. Someone once told me that you can 'shift' between Drive and D1 or D2, but I don't know and haven't tried it yet. Still plenty of other methods, like left-foot braking, fienting, e-braking, and feather-braking.
Have fun. Don't die:iceslolan

midgetracing28
05-09-2007, 07:42 PM
u can shift between low ,2nd, and drive in most autos btu some have a governer that shift up at certain rpm no matter what. not to mention when u start jammin gears like that trannies dont last very long autos arent meant to be shifted unless u swap to a manual valvebody however i got 2 words that can make drifting an auto reall easy " stall converter" just make backin up a pain in the ass

SilentNIght1647
05-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Having a big stall is fun isn't it? My buddy really dislikes having to turn like 3,000 to get his car to move in reverse but its a 4500 stall in a drag car so he can't bitch too much. But yes drifting in an auto is most definetly possible and would imagine to some degree easier than with a stick but like it was already said don't try to be burning gears with a stock valve body or you'll burn it up quick fast and a in a hurrry. I would reccomend getting a manual valve body and a 3500 stall before you attempt to drift the Benz.

doberman_52
05-11-2007, 10:40 AM
u can shift between low ,2nd, and drive in most autos btu some have a governer that shift up at certain rpm no matter what. not to mention when u start jammin gears like that trannies dont last very long autos arent meant to be shifted unless u swap to a manual valvebody however i got 2 words that can make drifting an auto reall easy " stall converter" just make backin up a pain in the ass I dont have anything like this in my car, if i set it to 1st, and do 55 it will just bounch of my rev limiter, and will never shift into second, not sure bout that if i set it into second and do what ever it tops at, somewhere above 80 though, but yea, it is hard on the tranny, probly the reason why mine is starting to slip, but then I have 170k miles on it and I dont think the previous owners took good maintenance for this car like I have...a lot of things are starting to go wrong now...

SilentNIght1647
05-12-2007, 06:32 AM
What that means is you car will not upshift itself when you are in low gear like a TH350 will but it still is an automatic valve body because if you put it high gear or drive it will shift by itself.

doberman_52
05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
yea, I thought he was saying that it will shift up if you rev it to high in a low gear, he says the governor will shift it up at a certain rpm no mater what, I have never seen that in any car i have driven, my current one just bounes off the rev limiter at 55mph in 1st gear, but wont shift it up.

mooney_drop
05-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Drifting with an automatic car? I though it's impossible. Actually, my friend told me it's impossible. But since you guys say that it's possible, can you teach me?

doberman_52
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, very possible, same as a manual, just no clutch kicking it, you have to use the ebrake or get enough weight transfer to make the car break loose.

6Cobalt
05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
the only 'impossible' drifting is FWD drifting, and even that's being debated.
but really, you can drift autos. Read through this whole thread, there are good ideas. Look for some other methods, shifting isn't the only one.:banghead:

midgetracing28
05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Please dont bring up fwds we were almost done with that. lol however its very possible to drift autos its just a lil differan to get used to b/c it takes a few seconds for hte power to be on tap versus droppin the clutch and its there immediatly. I race dirt track in an auto and have no problems keeping it sideways althoguh i try not to get to over extended b/c u loose speed. With an auto the feint method will become ur best friend if u can get it down ur set to look like a pro.

Add your comment to this topic!