Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New alternator chewed through belt < 1 month

Soup Fan
07-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Just put in a Bosch alternator on my 95 (V6, 4WD) less than a month ago. Idiot lights came on last night and I discovered that the belt is chewed up and hanging by a thread.

What is the likely cause? Could it have been mounted improperly and wore unevenly or something like that? Is there a way to check/adjust that?

Gonna put on a new belt today, just want to eliminate the possibility of it eating up this one, too.

rodeo02
07-01-2006, 02:35 PM
How does the belt routing look around all the pullies Make sure the belt rides straight in the alternator pulley. The alternator may need to be shimmed to correct it's alignment.

Joel

Soup Fan
07-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Will check that. Thanks much!

surferfletch
07-01-2006, 08:30 PM
It is recommended that you change the belt if you change an accessory. Did you reuse the belt?

surferfletch
07-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Also, I like tight enough to avoid squealing. Is it possible it was overtightened?

boaz2020
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I was thinking the same way surferfletch. If it isn't a serpentine belt driving every accessory, is it possible you overtightened the belt? Otherwise, an automatic belt tensioner won't cause this. Additionally, over tightening belts has been know to wipe the bearing out in the alternator in a short amount of time, like surferfletch said, just tight enough to avoid squealing when wet :sunglasse.

-Phil

Soup Fan
07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
We did not replace the belt and it is possible that it was overtightened. We put a new belt on and then had to replace the alternator (again) later that week, as it was not taking a charge. Latest works like a charm. Nice and quiet, charges properly...unfortunately I cannot afford to put gas in my Rodeo (@ about $50 a week) so I have been driving my wife's Saturn Ion to work and back everday.

Hurts my back to get in and out of it, but features like a sunroof and intermittent wipers are pretty sweet!

surferfletch
07-12-2006, 03:13 PM
They are picky about alternators, aren't they. Went through that a couple of months ago.

Add your comment to this topic!